Jun 24, 2014, 4:53 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Tuesday, June 24, 30 days before the Redskins start training camp.
Last week I put up my projected final roster on the offensive side of the ball. Yesterday I finished it off by picking the defense. In the tradition of March Madness bracketology, here are the first five out (the five players closest to making it who didn’t).
—OLB Brandon Jenkins—According to outside linebackers coach Brian Baker the light is starting to come on for Jenkins. That’s good, but his attitude on playing special teams has to do a complete 180-degree turn for him to make the roster. He does have practice squad eligibility.
—ILB Jeremy Kimbrough—He was a practice squad player last year and he has been making a strong push for a roster spot by picking off a lot of passes in OTAs and minicamp. It looks like the numbers are working against him, however, and he could be slated for another year on the practice squad.
—CB Chase Minnifield—Many were surprised when he was cut before the season last year. He made it back to the 53 after a stretch on the practice squad but he has yet to take an NFL snap. The team signed Tracy Porter and drafted Bashaud Breeland, likely pushing Minnifield to the outside looking in.
—S Bacarri Rambo—He fell a long way last year, from starting the season opener to being a seldom-used reserve. Perhaps if he improves his tackling and plays special teams he can steal a roster spot because he does have the ball hawk instincts the team wants.
—S Akeem Davis—There’s often a low-level buzz about a player during the offseason program and Davis is getting it this year. He hasn’t played great from what I have been able to see but you can’t really judge a safety without pads. Even if he makes a strong push, however, I don’t see how he gets past both Rambo and Tanard Jackson.
—It’s been 177 days since the Redskins played a game; in 75 days they play the Texans in their 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Training camp 30; Preseason opener vs. Patriots 44; Home opener Jaguars @ Redskins 82
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins' Gruden sees RG3 in a 'steady climb'
- Redskins get good news on David Amerson's injury
- Redskins’ McCloughan: Opponents 'are going to be sore'
- Hall sets record straight on pizza-centric torn Achilles story
- Eagles lose linebacker to torn ACL for second straight year
- Gruden on Griffin: 'I feel like he's on a steady climb'
- Trent Williams contract talks still ongoing
- Redskins CB David Amerson suffers possible shoulder injury
- Diehard Redskins fan converts lawn into insane Redskins shrine
- DeSean Jackson might just be right when he says nobody can cover him