Jun 21, 2014, 5:34 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Saturday, June 21, 33 days before the Redskins start training camp.
Yesterday, I posted my 53-man roster prediction for the players on offense. In the tradition of March Madness bracketology, here are my first five off of the roster (the five who came closest to making it) and why I think they will ultimately end up on the wrong side of the bubble.
OL Josh LeRibeus—He reported to the offseason program in excellent shape and has been doing everything he’s been asked. But it looks like the versatility of Adam Gettis, who can play guard and center, will doom LeRibeus to the waiver wire.
OL Tom Compton—It’s just a matter of numbers. They are only going to keep three tackles and they are likely to be Trent Williams, Tyler Polumbus, and third-round pick Morgan Moses.
WR Aldrick Robinson—If he has made the leap from being a fast guy to being a fast NFL-caliber wide receiver he didn’t really show it during what the media could see of the offseason program. Unless Leonard Hankerson starts the year on the PUP list there doesn’t appear to be room for Robinson.
RB Chris Thompson—He has played in just 18 games (14 at Florida State, 4 for Washington) since the start of the 2011 season. Unless he explodes as a returner during the preseason it’s hard to see him staying around.
TE Ted Bolser—We just haven’t seen him do much during the practices open to the media. He does have a chance to force his way on if proves to be a special teams standout during the preseason.
—It’s been 174 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be 78 days until they play the Texans in their 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Training camp 33; Preseason opener vs. Patriots 47; Home opener Jaguars @ Redskins 87
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Jamison Crowder drops Giants special-teamer with obscene juke
- Quinton Dunbar did something Redskins haven't done since before Facebook existed
- Odell Beckham gets yards, but Josh Norman's Redskins get the win
- Redskins survive behind makeshift offensive line
- Redskins win, but await status of multiple injured players
- Five things we learned from the Redskins win over the Giants
- Report: Redskins' DeAngelo Hall was told he'd torn ACL, MRI scheduled
- Redskins get first win, capitalize on turnovers to edge Giants 29-27
- Odell Beckham Jr. fights kicking net, loses
- Injuries to Lauvao, Lichtensteiger force strange shift on Redskins offensive line