Jun 20, 2014, 4:52 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Friday, June 20, 34 days before the Redskins start training camp.
The Redskins offseason program ended yesterday with their final minicamp practice. Here are the five most important events that have happened during the offseason.
—Mike Shanahan fired—Shanahan’s team pulled out a playoff spot with seven straight wins to close out the 2012 season but he couldn’t survive the three-win 2013 season that was accented by the relationship between the coach and Robert Griffin III getting ugly in a very public manner.
—Bruce Allen takes personnel control—Allen had held the GM title since late 2009 but without the final say over personnel that traditionally comes with the job. Shanahan had that total control. Within hours after Shanahan’s termination was announced we found out that Allen had been given control over personnel.
—Jay Gruden hired—About a week and half later the team hired the Bengals’ offensive coordinator to guide the team.
—Jim Haslett retained—The Redskins ranked 30th in scoring defense in 2013 and it was widely assumed that the defensive coordinator would be swept out in a coaching staff house cleaning. But Gruden decided to keep Haslett, with whom he had worked in the USFL, and give him a shot at running the defense without interference.
—DeSean Jackson signed—The Redskins were fairly active during free agency, picking up the likes of Jason Hatcher and Andre Roberts and retaining DeAngelo Hall. But the biggest move waited until the main part of free agency was over. The Eagles released Jackson in late March and the Redskins pounced, signing the speedy Pro Bowl receiver to a three-year, $24 million contract.
—It’s been 173 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be 79 days until they play the Texans in their 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Training camp 34; Preseason opener vs. Patriots 48; Home opener Jaguars @ Redskins 88
In case you missed it
- Will Keenan Robinson be ready?
- Redskins’ Hatcher tweets that surgery was a success
- How big a concern is Jason Hatcher’s knee injury for the Redskins?
- Gruden wants players to decompress but stay in shape, too
- Redskins cancel last practice of minicamp
- Redskins players will stay in touch with strength coaches over break
Follow Us On Twitter
- McVay looking forward to teams’ weapons (VIDEO)
- Anecdote: McVay talks about grandfather's Super Bowl rings
- Redskins fan asks for body autograph during press conference (VIDEO)
- Redskins Keenan Robinson not replacing Fletcher (VIDEO)
- Fantasy Football: Rolling out the top 60 running backs
- Redskins LB Everette Brown aims to make most of new opportunity
- OPEN THREAD: Full contact practice good idea for Redskins?
- Redskins Q&A: How will the offensive line sort out?
- Redskins' Gruden praises Moss but says veteran's role is uncertain
- Full contact livens up Monday practice for Redskins (VIDEO)