Jun 20, 2014, 4:52 AM EST
Here is what you need to know on this Friday, June 20, 34 days before the Redskins start training camp.
The Redskins offseason program ended yesterday with their final minicamp practice. Here are the five most important events that have happened during the offseason.
—Mike Shanahan fired—Shanahan’s team pulled out a playoff spot with seven straight wins to close out the 2012 season but he couldn’t survive the three-win 2013 season that was accented by the relationship between the coach and Robert Griffin III getting ugly in a very public manner.
—Bruce Allen takes personnel control—Allen had held the GM title since late 2009 but without the final say over personnel that traditionally comes with the job. Shanahan had that total control. Within hours after Shanahan’s termination was announced we found out that Allen had been given control over personnel.
—Jay Gruden hired—About a week and half later the team hired the Bengals’ offensive coordinator to guide the team.
—Jim Haslett retained—The Redskins ranked 30th in scoring defense in 2013 and it was widely assumed that the defensive coordinator would be swept out in a coaching staff house cleaning. But Gruden decided to keep Haslett, with whom he had worked in the USFL, and give him a shot at running the defense without interference.
—DeSean Jackson signed—The Redskins were fairly active during free agency, picking up the likes of Jason Hatcher and Andre Roberts and retaining DeAngelo Hall. But the biggest move waited until the main part of free agency was over. The Eagles released Jackson in late March and the Redskins pounced, signing the speedy Pro Bowl receiver to a three-year, $24 million contract.
—It’s been 173 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be 79 days until they play the Texans in their 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Training camp 34; Preseason opener vs. Patriots 48; Home opener Jaguars @ Redskins 88
In case you missed it
- Will Keenan Robinson be ready?
- Redskins’ Hatcher tweets that surgery was a success
- How big a concern is Jason Hatcher’s knee injury for the Redskins?
- Gruden wants players to decompress but stay in shape, too
- Redskins cancel last practice of minicamp
- Redskins players will stay in touch with strength coaches over break
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins free agent fits: Offensive tackle
- In need of red zone help, Redskins could look for a big wide receiver in the draft
- Should the Redskins replace kicker Kai Forbath?
- Weighing the worth of the Skins' draft pick
- Redskins' D-line depth chart is in flux
- Newest Redskin asks what '#HTTR' means, Twitter responds
- An hour after letting Cofield go, Redskins cut veteran DE
- Redskins re-sign starting offensive tackle
- Redskins cut veteran nose tackle day after signing Jean-Francois
- ICYMI: Llamas, that is all.