Jun 19, 2014, 5:23 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Thursday, June 19, 35 days before the Redskins start training camp.
With minicamp winding down, here are five notes and quotes from Jay Gruden’s press conference on Wednesday.
—Ryan Kerrigan rarely misses practice but he was a spectator on Wednesday: “He just was a little bit sore today. We just chose to keep him out. You know Ryan is the type of guy that will go until he can’t go any longer. We just want to make sure from a preventative standpoint this time a year.”
—There is some down time coming for the coaching staff: “This is a break time for the coaches. The assistant coaches will probably go on vacation and spend time with family because once they get back to Richmond, it’s not a lot of time to see their wife and kids. So it’s time for them to get away from football a little bit.”
—But not for Gruden, although he’ll take a quick family-related trip: “We just moved into a house so we’re probably just going to hang out here and get that all situated and try to enjoy the house, but I’m going to try to stay here for the most part and try to make sure training camp is getting organized and ready to go. I’m a little paranoid from that regard, but I’ll try to get away, go see my new grandkid in Tampa and go from there.”
—The players will get some time to enjoy themselves but they need to do what’s necessary to be ready for training camp starting five weeks from today in Richmond. “The players’ standpoint, they have to continue to train and work on their own hopefully. Most of them are professionals and they’ll do that. We’ll see when they come to camp. They should be in good shape but we’re still going to keep in touch, close contact with our strength coaches. They’ll have programs for them and hopefully they will do their work.”
—The practices have been very fast paced and they are getting in a good quantity of work. “Yesterday we did a lot. We probably ran through at least 80 plays, I would say, yesterday. Today we probably only ran through about 65-70, counting the two-minute. We have ones, twos – we have three groups going. We have the full 90 guys here. We have a couple guys missing with injuries, but for the most part I think our guys are getting a lot of good work, not only the starters, but the twos and the threes.”
—It’s been 172 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be 80 days until they play the Texans in their 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Training camp 35; Preseason opener vs. Patriots 49; Home opener Jaguars @ Redskins 89
In case you missed it
- Minicamp report: Hall makes the play of the day
- Kerrigan ‘a little sore’, sidelined for practice
- Redskins respond to U.S. patent office decision
- Redskins’ Hatcher to have knee scoped
- U.S. Trademark board rules against Redskins name
- O’Brien settles Texans’ QB situation
- Minicamp quotes: Redskins’ Trent Murphy lining up at a variety of positions
Follow Us On Twitter
- Tandler on whether the Redskins will really draft the best player available
- Outrage! Redskins fans heated after Sean Taylor tribute defaced
- Redskins drawn to Jeron Johnson's versatility
- Gruden excited about Culliver's compete level, toughness
- Gruden likes pass rushers in upcoming draft
- McCloughan: Gruden 'felt obligated' to name Redskins starting QB
- Top NFL draft prospect failed marijuana test at combine
- McCloughan gives his take on the Redskins' busy offseason
- Would Gruden want Mariota if he fell to the Redskins?
- Redskins may already have answer at backup RB, but draft also an option