Jun 17, 2014, 1:08 PM EST
Here are some practice notes from a steamy first day of minicamp at Redskins Park in Ashburn, VA. —
—Robert Griffin III was on the same page with most of his receivers. He rolled out and launched one deep to DeSean Jackson for a big gain. It must be noted that Courtney Bridges was the player who was burned on coverage.
—Griffin also showed signs of developing good chemistry with Jordan Reed. The QB hooked up with the second-year tight end on a few timing patterns over the middle and to the sideline.
—During the first few sessions of team work, it looked like the defensive backs had the advantage over the receiver. Both Griffin and Kirk Cousins had to throw a lot of check downs.
—Colt McCoy hit receiver Rashad Ross with a nice pass but Ross dropped it. Ross is very much a long shot to make the team or even stick on the practice squad and the eye in the sky captures all such mistakes on film.
—Among those lining up for kickoff returns were Andre Roberts, Lache Seastrunk, Chris Thompson, and Nick Williams.
—Ryan Grant beat Akeem Davis deep and Cousins’ high, wobbling pass fell into the receivers’ arms. That eared Davis some choice words from Raheem Morris on the way back to the huddle.
—Things got a bit feisty as practice wore on. There was some chirping when David Amerson had some contact with Reed as the two went for a Griffin pass at the goal line. The offense wanted a flag but one of the referees brought in to monitor practice didn’t see it that way. That had Griffin and others barking at the defense.
—A few plays later we had a near fight. Doug Worthington and Mike McGlynn tussled and Worthington ended up losing his helmet. No punches were thrown but tempers clearly were flaring.
—Jeremy Kimbrough made a nice, leaping interception of a Colt McCoy pass at the goal line.
—Here is your second-team offensive line from left to right—Tom Compton, Spencer Long, McGlynn, Josh LeRibeus, and Morgan Moses.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Kirk Cousins fills in the blank on The Players' Tribune
- Antonio Brown catches impressive behind-the-back pass from Cousins
- Kirk: RG3 will be fine, NFCE is iconic and hot dogs are sandwiches
- Who will start at inside linebacker for the Redskins in 2016?
- Kubiak: Manning 'as good as he's looked all year'
- Only a handful of starters will be left from 2012 Redskins team
- Former Redskins K Gano hopes to deliver winning field goal in Super Bowl
- Hipster Draymond Green believed in Kirk Cousins before it was cool
- Kirk Cousins does comedic turn with 'You Like That' at the Super Bowl
- 'You like that?!' goes international