Jun 17, 2014, 4:39 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Tuesday, June 17, 37 days before the Redskins start training camp.
Minicamp really isn’t that much more than OTAs except that attendance is mandatory and, by league rule, the media can attend all of the sessions. Here is who I will be keeping an eye on over the next three days.
QB Robert Griffin III—Of course, the spotlight is always on the quarterback. Griffin’s performance was spotty when I saw him at the OTA two weeks ago, better last week. Over three days we can get an indication of if he’s consistently improving or still up and down with some rough spots that need to be smoothed out.
OLB Ryan Kerrigan—He could be the most important player on the defense. We pretty much know what we’re going to get out of Brian Orakpo. Will the much-needed boost in the pass rush have to come from a third-year leap from Kerrigan? I want to see where they’re lining him up and how they’re using him.
RB Lache Seastrunk—How’s he coming along as a pass catcher? Let’s remember that he didn’t have a reputation for having bad hands, his hands were unknown since Baylor rarely threw to backs. If he can contribute anything in the passing game he could be a very valuable addition.
WR DeSean Jackson—Is he back to 100 percent? This isn’t so much concern over being able to fully participate in minicamp. It’s about seeing how quickly he can rebound from the hammy strain. It’s been about three weeks since he sustained the injury.
S Akeem Davis—He’s generating some buzz as a potential dark horse candidate to make the roster. It’s hard to tell much about safeties before the pads go on but I want to observe what I can and talk to him after practice.
—It’s been 170 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be 82 days until they play the Texans in their 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Training camp 37; Preseason opener vs. Patriots 51; Home opener Jaguars @ Redskins 91
In case you missed it
- Hankerson wants to “keep working, keep pushing” during rehab
- Redskins were among the NFL’s oldest teams in 2014
- RG3 hosts “Friday Night Lights” football camp in Anacostia
- All NFC East: Punters and Kickers
- Which Texans QB will the Redskins face in the opener?
- 5 Redskins notes as they report for minicamp
Follow Us On Twitter
- Gruden: 'Wasn't going to call a pass in a million years'
- DeSean Jackson: I love to 'make short passes into long gains'
- RG3 reveals his favorite play against the Browns
- 5 Redskins who helped themselves vs. the Browns
- What to watch: O-line a strength for the Redskins?
- Wendy's Q&A: Will RG3 ever learn how to slide?
- Browns Paul Kruger 'surprised' RG3 took off running
- DeSean Jackson dubs his debut with the Redskins a success
- VIDEO: Redskins display pregame show of solidarity with Ferguson protesters
- Redskins have work to do, little time to get it done