Jun 15, 2014, 6:10 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Sunday, June 15, two days before the start of Redskins minicamp.
Here are five Redskins notes and quotes from around the web:
—Jay Gruden reiterated to Don Banks of Sports Illustrated that the read option will be a change of pace for Robert Griffin III and the Redskins rather than a staple. “Personally my belief is the read option is better as an element of surprise,” Gruden said. “If you’re making it a major focal point of your offense — though they had success with it — that’s problematic.”
—Gruden also took something of a shot at Mike and Kyle Shanahan, saying that they didn’t seem to be interested in developing Griffin into a well-rounded QB. “But we’re trying to develop him as an all-around quarterback,” he said. “And I don’t know if they had that (as a goal). I’m sure they did a little bit, but I think that’s the clear intent moving forward, to develop him as an all-around quarterback. That’s part of his growth, from ’12 to ’13 to now.”
—It won’t surprise many of you to learn that the 2013 Redskins were among the worst teams in the league when it came to dropped passes. Eric Edholm of Yahoo! took drop stats for two major sources (which can be widely divergent), averaged them out, and figured out the percentage of pass attempts that each team dropped. The Redskins dropped 39 passes, 6.4 percent of their attempts. Only five other teams dropped a higher percentage of their passes.
—According to one of those sources, Sporting Charts, Santana Moss and Pierre Garçon each had seven drops, tying for the most on the Redskins. However, Garçon was targeted 181 times, more than twice as frequently as was Moss (78). Garçon dropped 3.9 percent of the passes aimed at him while Moss dropped 9.0 percent.
—According to a post on NFL.com the Browns were the team most often tweeted about between May 13 and June 12. That would seem to be a result of the team’s drafting of Johnny Manziel. The third most popular team on Twitter? Your Washington Redskins.
—It’s been 168 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be 84 days until they play the Texans in their 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Minicamp starts 2; Training camp 39; Preseason opener vs. Patriots 53
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Jim Haslett answers if Redskins should take Marcus Mariota
- McCloughan would like Redskins to have 10 or more draft picks
- Phones are open, but few calls for Kirk Cousins
- McCloughan on if RG3's option affects chances of drafting Mariota
- McCloughan compares Redskins roster to 49ers when he took over
- Redskins GM McCloughan hopes to trade for more draft picks
- Redskins, McCloughan make decision on RG3's future
- Report: Mariota likely to be gone before Redskins pick
- Redskins leaning toward committing to RG3 in 2016
- NFL Mock Draft 8.0: Move up, move down, or stay at 5 for Redskins?