Jun 14, 2014, 5:08 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Saturday, June 14, three days before the start of Redskins minicamp.
We haven’t wandered off into team history much lately. Here are the five best single seasons by Redskins who were aged 25 or under (according to the Pro Football Reference Approximate Value metric).
RB Larry Brown, 1972 (Age 25, AV of 20)—All Brown did was put the team on his back and carry it all the way to the Super Bowl. He gained 1,216 yards despite missing two of the 14 games scheduled that season. Brown, whose tough running style made him a big fan favorite, won a slew of honors including NFL MVP.
Brown, 1970 (Age 23, AV of 19)—This was the year before George Allen arrived in Washington and although Brown had a successful season the team around him wasn’t up to snuff. He led the NFL in rushing (he is the last Redskins to accomplish that feat) with 1,125 yards. That earned him first-team All-Pro honors.
QB Robert Griffin III, 2012 (Age 22, AV of 18)—You lived through this season so I don’t have to tell you much about it. To me, the most outstanding accomplishment was Griffin throwing just five interceptions in 393 pass attempts.
OL Russ Grimm, 1983 (Age 24, AV of 17)—This was the first of Grimm’s three straight first-team All-Pro selections, a run that really propelled his eventual induction into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The Redskins were first in the league in rushing yards and Grimm led the way on many of John Riggins’ then-record 24 rushing TDs.
OL Joe Jacoby, 1983 (Age 24, AV of 17)—It makes sense that Jacoby would earn an identical AV as Grimm this season since the played right next to each other and Jacoby also earned All-Pro honors.
—It’s been 167 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be 85 days until they play the Texans in their 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Minicamp starts 3; Training camp 40; Preseason opener vs. Patriots 54
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins quarterback Colt McCoy sends a gift to one Texas police department
- Dan Snyder displays heart of burgundy and gold; pays for Chief Zee's funeral
- Redskins will try in-house options to replace Galette
- Gruden says focus with Kirk Cousins is on football, not contracts
- Madden ranked its top five tight ends. Jordan Reed isn't one of them
- Rearranging priorities helped make 2015 Redskins more successful
- Kirk Cousins on contract: 'Don't think we really did' get close to a deal
- Redskins' training camp facility walloped by Richmond storm
- Greg Hardy to Redskins? NFL expert says Dwight Freeney more "realistic"
- OPEN THREAD: After Galette injury, should Redskins switch Trent Murphy back to LB?