Jun 13, 2014, 4:53 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Friday, June 13, four days before the start of Redskins minicamp.
Here are five Redskins who many fans think are in danger of not making the 53-man roster whose jobs are, in reality, safe.
Niles Paul—Many complain because he doesn’t produce much as a tight end. But he’s a core special teams guy and the focus on that area will keep him on the roster.
Ryan Grant—Sure, the rookie fifth-round pick is not very fast. But he has a knack for getting open and holding on to the ball when it gets thrown in his direction. During OTAs he did line up with RG3 and the other starters for some series. That’s not a sure sign he’s in the plans but a good indicator.
Tyler Polumbus—I guess this constitutes a flip-flop since when I did my “way too early” 53-man roster projection a month ago, Polumbus wasn’t on it. But I don’t think they’re going to force Morgan Moses to start before he’s ready and I think the chances are good that he won’t be ready by September.
Darrel Young—Jay Gruden’s Bengals ran with just one running back on 83 percent of their snaps last year, leading many to wonder if the team would even keep a fullback on the roster. Like Paul, Young is a core special teams player and it’s hard for me to picture him not being one of the 53 best players, regardless of how underutilized his primary position might be.
Stephen Bowen—Many think that Bowen will fall victim to his injury, age, salary cap number, or some combination of all three. I do think a contract redo might be coming but I’m hearing he’s in the plans.
—Redskins defensive back E. J. Biggers was born on this date in 1987.
—It’s been 166 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be 86 days until they play the Texans in their 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Minicamp starts 4; Training camp 41; Preseason opener vs. Patriots 55
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Baylor RG3 statue vandalized
- Jordan Reed remains in concussion protocol system
- Fantasy Fix: Todd Gurley running hot in Week 5 rankings
- Julio Jones set to test Redskins' banged up secondary
- Friday will be key to determining Culliver's status for Falcons game
- Reed, Culliver absent from Redskins practice on Thursday
- Redskins running the ball more but not as much as perceived
- Gruden: Kerrigan getting 'disruption' but sacks not there yet
- Jerry Jones echoes Greg Hardy's bizarre comment about Tom Brady
- Former Redskins WR Hankerson off to 'great start' with Falcons