Jun 9, 2014, 4:45 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Monday, June 9, eight days before the start of Redskins minicamp.
Numbers don’t tell the whole story but they can be a good way to measure where your team needs improvement. Here are five numbers from last year that the Redskins need to improve in 2014.
8.0 opposition yards per pass attempt—The better teams give up five to six yards per attempt so the Redskins are way off pace here.
16.8 yards per punt return—This is a full three yards more than the second-worst team in this category (Colts, 13.7) and about 75 percent higher than the league average (9.4). Oh, and the three punt return touchdowns they gave up last year needs to shrink to zero.
74.7 yards from goal line to start average drive—This was the worst starting field position in the league, a result of turnovers by the offense, too many yards given up by the defense and the above-mentioned bad special teams play.
30 fumbles—This was the second-worst performance here in the NFL. They lost 15 of them, also the second most in the league. Even the fumbles the recovered didn’t turn out so well. One resulted in a safety, three others resulted in losses of 8, 10, and 12 yards.
3 wins—Yeah this is obvious. If they play better and some players have some breakout years but it doesn’t lead to much improvement in the wins column it all means nothing.
—It’s been 162 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be 90 days until they play the Texans in their 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Minicamp starts 8; Training camp 45; Redskins @ Eagles 104
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Gruden gives timeline for Perry Riley, Shawn Lauvao return from injury
- Gruden's advice for injured Josh Doctson: Be patient and hurry up
- Cousins confident but for now 'it's all just talk'
- Kirk Cousins happy with pay raise, won't have any complaints
- Junior Galette willing to 'travel around the world' in order to avoid surgery
- OPEN THREAD: Does a healthy Ryan Kerrigan make up for the loss of Junior Galette?
- Redskins fans brave nasty temperatures bright and early for training camp view
- Redskins do not have to pay Galette while on NFI list
- Redskins place Doctson, four others on PUP list
- Need to Know: Gruden—Redskins 'have a lot of work to do'