Jun 9, 2014, 4:45 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Monday, June 9, eight days before the start of Redskins minicamp.
Numbers don’t tell the whole story but they can be a good way to measure where your team needs improvement. Here are five numbers from last year that the Redskins need to improve in 2014.
8.0 opposition yards per pass attempt—The better teams give up five to six yards per attempt so the Redskins are way off pace here.
16.8 yards per punt return—This is a full three yards more than the second-worst team in this category (Colts, 13.7) and about 75 percent higher than the league average (9.4). Oh, and the three punt return touchdowns they gave up last year needs to shrink to zero.
74.7 yards from goal line to start average drive—This was the worst starting field position in the league, a result of turnovers by the offense, too many yards given up by the defense and the above-mentioned bad special teams play.
30 fumbles—This was the second-worst performance here in the NFL. They lost 15 of them, also the second most in the league. Even the fumbles the recovered didn’t turn out so well. One resulted in a safety, three others resulted in losses of 8, 10, and 12 yards.
3 wins—Yeah this is obvious. If they play better and some players have some breakout years but it doesn’t lead to much improvement in the wins column it all means nothing.
—It’s been 162 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be 90 days until they play the Texans in their 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Minicamp starts 8; Training camp 45; Redskins @ Eagles 104
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- This Redskins rookie and his girlfriend have the best pregame ritual
- Gruden, Bruton, Golston and Jean-Francois all discuss Colin Kaepernick
- It appears that Josh Doctson is returning, according to a tweet of his
- Redskins claim ex-Hokie, former Broncos pick to shore up OL depth
- Redskins' Cullen Jenkins will need to get up to speed in a hurry
- Gruden hints that Josh Doctson could be ready for Redskins in Week 1 against Steelers
- With addition of Cullen Jenkins, whose job is on the line?
- Redskins Playbook - Practice for Josh Doctson?
- Redskins sign defensive end Cullen Jenkins, per reports
- Paul Kruger released from Browns - Could the former Raven help the Redskins?