Jun 3, 2014, 4:56 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Tuesday, June 3, 14 days before the start of minicamp.
After a 3-13 season there are always plenty of questions surrounding an NFL team. Here is a look at five burning questions facing the Redskins’ defense (we’ll talk about questions on offense later this week).
Can Jason Hatcher get double-digit sacks again? The Redskins’ 3-4 defense is not designed for the linemen to make plays. But they didn’t sign Jason Hatcher to a four-year, $27.5 million deal to do grunt work; they want 10 or more sacks out of him. In what situations will Hatcher play and how will what he does affect the rest of the line? Will responsibilities change?
Can Brian Orakpo perform at an elite level? The Redskins are going to rely heavily on the pass rush to prop up the secondary this year and in a 3-4 the key pass rusher is the outside linebacker coming from the QB’s blindside. That, of course, is Orakpo. If the master plan is going to work he will have to play to his full potential and make some big plays in addition to getting sacks and pressures.
Will Keenan Robinson be ready? The third-year player who has only 69 defensive snaps under his belt is the preferred choice to win the job at inside linebacker. Robinson looks good now but it’s hard to judge without pads. And if he’s not ready, the question becomes who will it be?
Will David Amerson be ready? The second year player seems to be a safer bet. He played almost 700 snaps as a rookie so he has more on-field experience to fall back on. Still, he’s a second-year player coming off of a season during which he, well, looked like a rookie. He’s likely to get burned from time to time but if can he can make enough big plays to compensate his year will be a success.
How will the safety spot sort out? Ryan Clark and Brandon Meriweather are the starters, at least for the time being. Does that mean Phillip Thomas will watch most of the year from the bench, barring injury, or will he get a legit shot at starting? Will Bacarri Rambo even make the team? Can Tanard Jackson be effective after a two-year suspension (if he even makes the team)? Nothing seems to be out of the question at this point in time.
—It’s been 156 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be 96 days until they play the Texans in their 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Minicamp starts 14; Training camp 51; Redskins @ Eagles 110
In case you missed it
- Who’s your All-NFC East tight end: Reed or Witten?
- 5 Redskins who could have breakout 2014 seasons
- Ex-Redskin Brad Edwards named GMU’s new AD
- June 1 just another day for Redskins, most of NFL
Gruden talks about expectations for DeSean Jackson
Follow Us On Twitter
- 25 Redskins questions: Who will be the third-down back?
- Who's the favorite to be the Redskins' top pick?
- Redskins draft board: Cornerback
- If your favorite draft prospect hasn't visited Redskins Park don't worry
- OPEN THREAD: Will Adrian Peterson end up with the Cowboys?
- 25 Redskins questions: More special teams improvement in 2015?
- NFL reinstates Adrian Peterson from suspension
- Report: Redskins to host USC's Leonard Williams
- More defense in the draft for the Redskins?
- OPEN THREAD: Do pre-draft visits really mater?