Need to Know: 5 thoughts on the Redskins after first week of OTAs

Jun 1, 2014, 6:17 AM EDT

RG3-OTAs-2014

Here is what you need to know on this Sunday, June 1, 16 days before the start of minicamp.

Nickel coverage

Five thoughts on the Redskins after their first week of OTAs.

—It’s very early but it seems like Keenan Robinson has the inside track on the inside linebacker spot vacated by London Fletcher. To be sure, in shorts and helmets he’s going to look better than Akeem Jordan and Darryl Sharpton because he knows the defense. And he still has a lot to learn. But Jay Gruden saying that “we have high hopes for Keenan” is telling. He’s the guy they would like to see win the job and it’s likely that he’ll have to fall flat on his face to lose it.

—You certainly get the feeling that football wasn’t much fun for Robert Griffin III last year and he’d like to get back to enjoying the game. “Football’s a fun game to play. A lot of you guys don’t see the hard work that goes into it, how late we’re here, how early were here,” said Griffin. “At the end of the day it’s just like you’re a little kid again, out there playing football and I want it to be that kind of atmosphere and when guys are doing their job, we’ll celebrate.”

—I have been dismissive of Tanard Jackson’s chances of making the team. With just 12 games on his ledger since the start of the 2010 season the odds are still against him. But he has impressed during the time since his suspended ended and he has a legitimate shot. ““He doesn’t look like he’s been away for two years,” said Jay Gruden. Jackson will have to play well enough to knock Bacarri Rambo off of the roster since the team is unlikely to keep more than four safeties.

Jordan Reed was second on the team in both receptions and receiving yards last year despite missing seven games with injuries, including the last six with a concussion. Despite the additions for DeSean Jackson and Andre Roberts, don’t be surprised if Reed is again the second leading receiver on the team if he is able to play all or most of 16 games. He will be RG3’s security blanket. “If people want to crowd DeSean or crowd Pierre, he’s a guy that is very much needed in the passing game, so we just got to keep him healthy and get him going,” said Gruden.

—It’s not sounding good for Leonard Hankerson. Gruden said that he hopes to get the fourth-year receiver on the field “sometime in training camp”. That sounds a lot like he’ll be starting camp on the PUP list so he will fall even further behind in learning the offense. It’s hard to see him being left off of the 53-man roster but you can’t rule it out.

—It’s been 154 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be 98 days until they play the Texans in their season opener.

Days until: Minicamp starts 16; Training camp 53; Redskins @ Eagles 112

1. Robin Pasley - Jun 1, 2014 at 9:28 AM

Love them redskin “GO SKIN “

2. kkahuna - Jun 1, 2014 at 9:29 AM

Man, Hank, just like so many other Redskins WR’s of late, has so much talent, but gets derailed by injury, lack of hard work or circumstance.

• John Whitlow - Jun 2, 2014 at 2:09 PM

Wasted jersey! RedskinHurricane!

3. ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - Jun 1, 2014 at 9:42 AM

So none of our starting WRs were drafted by us. And other than TWill, none of our starting OL are, either.

That’s a lot of whiffs over the years, isn’t it?
    ~

• mrhart76 - Jun 1, 2014 at 2:24 PM

Alot of whiffs! Reinhardt, mcribbis..gettis..Malcolm Kelly..Thomas..Davis..the list goes on and on.

• ezg1 - Jun 1, 2014 at 11:18 PM

Vincent Cerato?

• PAWII - Jun 2, 2014 at 10:16 PM

One word… YES.

4. kenlinkins - Jun 1, 2014 at 11:59 PM

Placing Hankerson on the PUP list would allow the Redskins to protect Grant and Hoffman from the practice Squad where they could be picked up by another team if they show anything in preseason games. This would also allow Hankerson more time to recover back to 100%. IMO the Redskins will keep 6 WR’s on the 53 man roster if Hamkerson is on PUP or even IR, which means they could keep Moss or Robinson at the start of the year with Hankerson on the PUP/ IR list (Garcon, Jackson, Roberts, Grant, Hoffman and Moss/Robinson). Keeping only 5 WR’s with two rookies just would not work. If Hankerson is ready to play by the 3rd preseason game, then the Redskins might only keep 5 WR’s (only one rookie making the 53 man roster) with Hoffman or Grant being risked on the Practice Squad and Moss and Robinson getting cut. Nick Williams is a very long shot to make the team but I think he can still be placed on the Practice Squad as he was only on the roster for 5 games in 2013 (this assumes Hankerson on PUP list and 6 WR’s on 53 man roster with 2 rookies, Moss or Robinson being cut). So IMO Hankerson’s knee becomes the key to the number of WR’s the Redskins keep on the 53 man roster at the start of the season.

5. C. Cowboykilla - Jun 2, 2014 at 6:36 PM

Come on Keenan!!! We here in Texas are rooting hard for you!! Orakpo and Robinson two former Uof Texas Longhorns coming at your QBs is a frightening sight to see.

6. shermanp79 - Jun 6, 2014 at 9:37 AM

I’ve said Hank is in trouble and with this being his last year of his R contract I could see him being cut. If they think he can help maybe PUP but why waste time?

If a young Draft pick can get on the field I’m all for it. I hope ILB Robinson can win the job and stay healthy. We need to get the most out of our picks. The other part is his next contract will be team friendly since he has missed so much time and even with a big year, the money won’t be great. Just like Baker last year. I hope the same if DL Jenkins can get going and show what he did during R TC before injury.

I thought when we signed Jackson he would help this team. He just has issues. I’m not sure I get rid of a 2nd year guy who has talent. I hope his attitude has changed and he is learning how to tackle. I suppose if his attitude hasn’t changed that will kick the door open for Jackson, the problem is trust. I know Rambo was a 6th rounder but they clearly took him because they liked something and I think that probably wins out. I can’t imagine him coming in and being as lost as last year. It’s one reason I would have played him once the season was over. I ultimately want the best guys on the team and if that means a 6th round guy is cut, then that’s what it is, I don’t see the guys up-close during practice. I’m looking at how low round guys take time to learn and adjust. The team Drafted him because they thought they could develop him, give him a couple years. If it was another young guy? That is different but my issue is trust of Jackson. If we cut Rambo and Jackson fails a test weeks later, where are we then? That is my only concern .I guess if they feel Rambo can’t play then it really doesn’t matter. I wouldn’t rule out them keeping 5 safeties. I don’t see them keeping 2 K and probably only 2 QB’s. So that could be an extra S or CB guy. I guess TC and Pre Season will sort it all out.