May 28, 2014, 5:42 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Wednesday, May 28, 20 days before the start of minicamp.
(Still on vacation, enjoying some beautiful sunsets in the Outer Banks. But fresh content is back in your Need to Know. I still might be slow in approving first comments and responding.)
Here are five offensive players with a lot on the line as OTAs get into full swing this week. Tomorrow I’ll look at five defensive players with a lot at stake.
OT Tyler Polumbus—The organization tried to sign Donald Penn to replace Polumbus immediately and, failing that, they draft Morgan Moses to replace him eventually. Every offensive lineman will be under the microscope, none more so than Polumbus.
FB Darrel Young—Jay Gruden’s Bengals lined up with just one running back on 83 percent of their plays in 2013. That doesn’t necessarily mean that the 2014 Redskins will do the same but Young be under the gun to show that he warrants a roster spot playing a position that isn’t utilized much.
WR Santana Moss—He turns 35 on Sunday. He was the second-oldest receiver in the NFL last year, just a few weeks younger than Steve Smith of the Panthers (now Ravens). The NFL is always a “what have you done for me lately” environment and when you have a new head coach like the Redskins do it’s “what are you doing for me right now”. Moss appeared to be on the verge of getting cut by Mike Shanahan but he turned it up a notch and survived. He’ll need to do that again.
WR Aldrick Robinson—At this point, Gruden doesn’t care about the potential that Robinson showed in college, the speed that made Shanahan draft him. Robinson needs to show consistency to go with his speed if he is going to stick around this year.
TE Logan Paulsen—Unlike the others listed here, Paulsen’s roster spot is safe for this year. But the arrival of Gruden, who likes to utilize multiple tight ends in his offense, will give him an opportunity to show what he can do as a pass catcher. If he performs well, Gruden may not be so anxious to acquire another tight end in the 2015 draft or in free agency.
—It’s been 150 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be 102 days until the play the Texans in their season opener.
—Days until: Minicamp starts 20; Training camp 56; Redskins @ Eagles 116
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins vs Giants Preview: 5 things you need to know as 'Skins get desperate
- Tandler's Redskins-centric look around the NFL, Week 3
- Redskins Gruden on rookie Kendall Fuller: He's just the odd man out, for now
- Need to Know: Five Redskins who are under pressure against the Giants
- How Dr. Robin West handles when Redskins and Nationals players get hurt
- Redskins injury report: DeSean Jackson, Trent Williams good to go for Giants game
- Redskins' Preston Smith hasn't had start he wanted, but knows 'anything can happen'
- Redskins Playbook: Still lots of questions on defensive line
- Redskins vs. Giants Week 3 Preview, predictions, storylines, betting odds
- Need to Know: Around Redskins Park—Will things start to click for Cousins?