May 28, 2014, 5:42 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Wednesday, May 28, 20 days before the start of minicamp.
(Still on vacation, enjoying some beautiful sunsets in the Outer Banks. But fresh content is back in your Need to Know. I still might be slow in approving first comments and responding.)
Here are five offensive players with a lot on the line as OTAs get into full swing this week. Tomorrow I’ll look at five defensive players with a lot at stake.
OT Tyler Polumbus—The organization tried to sign Donald Penn to replace Polumbus immediately and, failing that, they draft Morgan Moses to replace him eventually. Every offensive lineman will be under the microscope, none more so than Polumbus.
FB Darrel Young—Jay Gruden’s Bengals lined up with just one running back on 83 percent of their plays in 2013. That doesn’t necessarily mean that the 2014 Redskins will do the same but Young be under the gun to show that he warrants a roster spot playing a position that isn’t utilized much.
WR Santana Moss—He turns 35 on Sunday. He was the second-oldest receiver in the NFL last year, just a few weeks younger than Steve Smith of the Panthers (now Ravens). The NFL is always a “what have you done for me lately” environment and when you have a new head coach like the Redskins do it’s “what are you doing for me right now”. Moss appeared to be on the verge of getting cut by Mike Shanahan but he turned it up a notch and survived. He’ll need to do that again.
WR Aldrick Robinson—At this point, Gruden doesn’t care about the potential that Robinson showed in college, the speed that made Shanahan draft him. Robinson needs to show consistency to go with his speed if he is going to stick around this year.
TE Logan Paulsen—Unlike the others listed here, Paulsen’s roster spot is safe for this year. But the arrival of Gruden, who likes to utilize multiple tight ends in his offense, will give him an opportunity to show what he can do as a pass catcher. If he performs well, Gruden may not be so anxious to acquire another tight end in the 2015 draft or in free agency.
—It’s been 150 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be 102 days until the play the Texans in their season opener.
—Days until: Minicamp starts 20; Training camp 56; Redskins @ Eagles 116
Follow Us On Twitter
- On eve of Redskins training camp, Kerrigan describes Galette injury 'shocking' and 'heartbreaking'
- Ranking the Redskins Part 5 (53-6): Filling the hole left by Galette's injury
- Conflicting reports on whether Redskins are considering Greg Hardy
- Finlay: Excited to take over as Redskins Insider
- Bashaud Breeland leads pack of tiny bulldogs into Redskins camp
- Loss of Jarrett to injury will have long term effects on Redskins defense
- OPEN THREAD: Loss of Junior Galette not cause for panic - right?
- Need to Know: 5 Redskins with a lot to prove as training camp approaches
- DeAngelo Hall to be inducted into Virginia Tech Hall of Fame
- Redskins' outside LB depth chart looking thin after Galette injury