May 23, 2014, 10:30 AM EST
Via Redskins PR:
The Washington Redskins announced today that they have signed 2014 second-round draft pick linebacker Trent Murphy (47th overall). In addition, the team signed free agent wide receiver Rashad Ross and waived wide receiver Kofi Hughes. Terms of the deals were not disclosed.
Murphy (6-5, 258) started 42 of the 44 career games in which he played at Stanford, finishing third in Cardinal history with 32.5 career sacks. As a senior last season, Murphy started all 14 games, leading the Football Bowl Subdivision with 15.0 sacks and earning All-Pac-12 first-team honors.
Murphy, 23, was born on Dec. 20, 1990. He attended Brophy College Preparatory in Phoenix, where he was named the 2008 Arizona Republic All-State Defensive Player of the Year as a senior.
Ross (6-0, 181) originally entered the NFL as a college free agent with the Tennessee Titans on May 9, 2013. He spent parts of the 2013 season on the practice squads of the Titans and Kansas City Chiefs and spent the offseason with Kansas City before being released on May 12, 2014.
Ross, 24, played collegiately at Arizona State from 2011-12, appearing in 26 games with 14 starts and compiling 55 career receptions for 864 yards and seven receiving touchdowns. He was born on Feb. 2, 1990, and attended Vallejo (Calif.) H.S.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Report: Former Redskins WR injured after accidentally shooting self
- After an improbable rise, can Quinton Dunbar keep improving?
- Ranking the top 20 most talented NFL players under the age of 25
- 2015 Redskins led NFL in fumble recoveries but didn’t take advantage
- Kirk Cousins, Antonio Brown team up to break world record held by OBJ
- How should the Redskins fix their scuffling run game?
- UFC legend Chuck Liddell joins Redskins Nation
- London Fletcher: Sean Taylor 'was just scratching the surface'
- Rookie review: How does Kyshoen Jarrett fit into the Redskins' plans?
- Who has the best chance of being the Redskins' first pick?