May 23, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Via Redskins PR:
The Washington Redskins announced today that they have signed 2014 second-round draft pick linebacker Trent Murphy (47th overall). In addition, the team signed free agent wide receiver Rashad Ross and waived wide receiver Kofi Hughes. Terms of the deals were not disclosed.
Murphy (6-5, 258) started 42 of the 44 career games in which he played at Stanford, finishing third in Cardinal history with 32.5 career sacks. As a senior last season, Murphy started all 14 games, leading the Football Bowl Subdivision with 15.0 sacks and earning All-Pac-12 first-team honors.
Murphy, 23, was born on Dec. 20, 1990. He attended Brophy College Preparatory in Phoenix, where he was named the 2008 Arizona Republic All-State Defensive Player of the Year as a senior.
Ross (6-0, 181) originally entered the NFL as a college free agent with the Tennessee Titans on May 9, 2013. He spent parts of the 2013 season on the practice squads of the Titans and Kansas City Chiefs and spent the offseason with Kansas City before being released on May 12, 2014.
Ross, 24, played collegiately at Arizona State from 2011-12, appearing in 26 games with 14 starts and compiling 55 career receptions for 864 yards and seven receiving touchdowns. He was born on Feb. 2, 1990, and attended Vallejo (Calif.) H.S.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Feinstein explains how Cousins and Redskins can continue success
- Cakes thinks the Falcons and Redskins will be a snoozefest
- Redskins should stick to the script vs. Falcons
- Local Chipotle crowns Cousins 'King Kirk'
- Redskins grades: Trent Williams does well, but surprises galore from Pro Football Focus
- Fantasy Fix: Hankerson, roster strategy and Week 5 Waver Wire
- Penalties still a problem for the Redskins
- Redskins getting strong contributions from five 2015 draft picks
- Tarik El-Bashir reports from Redskins Park on a victory Monday
- Need to Know: Redskins accountability in action