May 22, 2014, 4:57 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Thursday, May 22, five days before the start of OTAs.
Here are the five biggest questions facing Jay Gruden as he gets ready to take his team into the meat of the offseason program with OTAs next week.
—What plays should be thrown out? There are many more plays in the playbook that he and Sean McVay have assembled than can be used. Part of OTAs will be figuring out which ones will work and which ones they should hit the delete button on. The more he can figure out in advance which plays will be most effective the more efficiently the limited practice time can be used.
—What does the depth chart on the offensive line look like? With a new coaching staff, everyone should have a fair shot at a roster spot and a starting job. But you have to line them up in some order to begin with and the initial order always has influence on the final order. The most important question is whether the draft status of Morgan Moses and Spencer long should trump the experience of players like Tom Compton, Josh LeRibeus and Adam Gettis.
—How about the wide receiver depth chart? It’s not quite as muddled as the line with the top three jobs set in stone but beyond that there are three or four spots that are wide open. Who gets first shot at lining up wit the second unit to work with Kirk Cousins at quarterback?
—What is the schedule going to be? Most teams use the allotted practice time for rookie camp in one session. Gruden did it differently, splitting it into two shorter sessions with meeting in between. Will he break from the mold during OTAs? Will he give players input into the decision?
—Should it be all work and no play? Mike Shanahan would occasionally give the players a break from the grind and take the players to the movies or have a family picnic day at Redskins Park. As a veteran coach with a lot of authority, he had the pull to be able to do something like this. Does Gruden want mix in some fun activities and, if he does, will he feel comfortable in doing so?
—It’s been 144 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be 108 days until they play the Texans in the 2014 season opener.
—Days until: OTAs 5; Training camp starts 62; Redskins @ Eagles 122
In case you missed it
- 5 Redskins thoughts including O-line competition
- Fan question: Who’s at Jack?
- Gruden keeps it light in rookie minicamp practice
- Redskins’ Gruden on Moses: ‘It’s going to take him some time’
Follow Us On Twitter
- Need to Know: Cousins talks of Redskins' need for 'sustained success'
- Before signing Josh Norman, Redskins had sights set on Brandon Browner
- Josh Norman sees the fiery side of Kirk Cousins at Redskins OTAs: 'I was like, calm down'
- Meaningful work in Redskins' rushing game will have to wait until camp
- DeAngelo Hall on DeSean Jackson's OTAs absence: 'You want him here, but...'
- Redskins G Shawn Lauvao is progressing, but can he reclaim his starting job?
- Need to Know: Is Jackson's absence from some Redskins OTAs an issue?
- No brawl, just competition between Josh Norman and Kirk Cousins
- Kirk Cousins is comfortable taking 'ownership' of Redskins' offense now
- Redskins teammates already putting Jordan Reed in elite class