May 20, 2014, 5:46 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Tuesday, May 20, seven days before the start of OTAs.
Jay Gruden gave a thumbnail evaluations of his team’s draft picks during rookie minicamp last weekend. Here are five of his comments.
G Spencer Long—“He did a great job. From the first day to the fourth day of practice, you can see how effective he’s going to be – how smart he is No 1, [and] how physical he can be . . . He’s going to be competitive right away.”
K Zach Hocker—“He is going to come in here and compete. We have a good field-goal kicker here [in Kai Forbath], but the ability he has with that strong leg is an added dimension for kick-offs, and touchbacks are very, very important. We will see moving forward.”
CB Bashaud Breeland—“But when he’s at the line of scrimmage, one of his strengths is playing bump and run. He’s got the long arms. He’s very physical. That’s his strength. We’ve just got to make sure he just watches the holding and all that, but I’m very impressed with the way he handled the mental aspect of the game, the coverages and also the physical obviously with his technique.”
OLB Trent Murphy—“You know, the knock on him is maybe he’s not the greatest athlete, but I see a guy who, as far as the defensive end and outside backers are concerned, ran as good or even better short shuttle as anybody. The long shuttle he ran as good or even better as everybody else. He’s great off the snap and if you have quickness off the snap and you have great length, you make up for a lot of your speed deficiency so to speak.”
RB Lache Seastrunk—“Baylor has one of the greatest offenses in college football, but they didn’t do anything as far as protections and routing running. He didn’t catch any balls, like I said, so the major reach for him was going to be picking up blitzes and running routes out of the backfield. It’s brand new to him.”
—It’s been 142 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be 110 days until they play the Texans in the 2014 season opener.
—Days until: OTAs 7; Training camp starts 64; Preseason opener Patriots @ Redskins 79
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Loss of Jarrett to injury will have long term effects on Redskins defense
- OPEN THREAD: Loss of Junior Galette not cause for panic - right?
- Need to Know: 5 Redskins with a lot to prove as training camp approaches
- DeAngelo Hall to be inducted into Virginia Tech Hall of Fame
- Redskins' outside LB depth chart looking thin after Galette injury
- After promising rookie season ends with terrible injury, Redskins waive Kyshoen Jarrett
- With Junior Galette out for the season are any free agents worth bringing in? Greg Hardy?
- Junior Galette tears Achilles tendon days before training camp
- Following NFL trend, Redskins sell naming rights for practice facility
- Can Redskins' Cousins continue to avoid the turnover bug?