May 19, 2014, 5:02 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Monday, May 19, eight days before the start of OTAs.
So what kind of potential does Trent Murphy, taken by the Redskins with the 47th pick in the draft, have? We really don’t know but we can perhaps get some indication by looking at the previous five players drafted 47th overall:
2013—TE Gavin Escobar, Cowboys: He didn’t do much last year, playing in all 16 games but starting just one. Escobar had nine receptions for 139 yards and 2 touchdowns. However, many view him as a potential replacement for Jason Whitten, who may become a Cowboys cap casualty in 2015.
2012—LB Bobby Wagner, Seahawks: I think the Redskins would be pretty happy if Murphy turned out to be as good as Wagner. He’s been the starter pretty much from the beginning and he’s racked up 174 tackles, seven sacks, and five interceptions.
2011—TE Lance Kendricks, Rams: He has been the starter most of the time he has been there but his numbers are underwhelming. In 46 games Kendricks has 102 receptions for 1,129 yards and eight touchdowns.
2010—LB Daryl Washington, Cardinals—Here’s another linebacker whose production the Redskins would love for Murphy to emulate. In 59 games Washington has 325 tackles, 18 sacks, and six interceptions. He went to the Pro Bowl following the 2012 season.
2009—S Michael Mitchell, Raiders—This is an example of a player who took a little while to develop. After starting just nine games in three seasons in Oakland, the Raiders let Mitchell walk without putting up much of a fight. The Panthers signed him and he became their starter and a solid performer with four interceptions and four sacks (both exceeded his totals in four years in Oakland). He got the attention of the Redskins, who targeted him in free agency, but he ended up signing with the Steelers.
—Former Redskins linebacker London Fletcher was born on this date in 1975.
—It’s been 141 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be 111 days until they play the Texans in the 2014 season opener.
—Days until: OTAs 8; Training camp starts 65; Preseason opener Patriots @ Redskins 80
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins' Kirk Cousins consults current and former NFL starters for advice
- Need to Know: Redskins couldn't take advantage of fumble recoveries
- Kirk Cousins is excited about Jamison Crowder's growth, Josh Doctson's potential
- Quality of Redskins' receiving corps may hinge on Doctson's learning curve
- Redskins teammates give Jordan Reed a hard time for new big-money contract
- Redskins' David Bruton excited to get 'first crack' at starting safety job
- Months later, Redskins ILB Perry Riley still battling foot injury
- Need to Know: Cousins talks of Redskins' need for 'sustained success'
- Before signing Josh Norman, Redskins had sights set on Brandon Browner
- Josh Norman sees the fiery side of Kirk Cousins at Redskins OTAs: 'I was like, calm down'