May 16, 2014, 4:30 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Friday, May 16, 11 days before the start of OTAs. Nickel coverage The Redskins’ rookie minicamp gets underway today; the media will be able to watch on Saturday. Here are five things I’ll be looking for:
Who returns punts and kicks? This never was resolved last year and among the players signed and drafted so far, none is an obvious candidate. They probably won’t do much more than just catch kicks but seeing who does that could be the first piece of the puzzle.
Does Spencer Long play center? I’m not sure if they are going to have Long line up in the middle of the line this year. But they could get an idea of what he can do if they do put him at center for this. In particular, they will get an idea of if shotgun/pistol snaps will come easily to him.
What’s Gruden’s on-field demeanor? Is he a yeller? How much individual instruction/attention does he give players? Does he observe the defense at all?
How well does Cody Hoffman move? The 6-4 wide receiver out of Brigham Young is a fan favorite to make the roster. They might be on to something since the receiving corps lacks height and that’s something that Gruden has been known to favor. But he needs to learn how to fight his way off the line and run better routes if he’s going to have a chance.
How is Bashaud Breeland’s game speed? If he had shaved a tenth or so off of his 4.53 time in the 40-yard dash he might have been a first- or second-round draft pick. Players can make up for a lack of great foot speed with smarts. It will be interesting to see how well Breeland anticipates and tracks the ball in the air.
Like Real Redskins on Facebook! Timeline
—It’s been 138 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be 114 days until they play the Texans in the 2014 season opener.
—Days until: OTAs 11; Training camp starts 68; Preseason opener Patriots @ Redskins 83
In case you missed it
- Depth chart review–defense
- Fan questions: Redskins’ depth, Seastrunk, O-line and more
- Redskins’ UDFA class is heavy on offense
- Redskins undrafted free agent capsules: Tall WR’s get a shot
- The Redskins’ 5 leading kickers of the past 20 years
Tandler talks about the 53-man roster.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Need to Know: First thoughts on Redskins vs. Browns—Too obvious to be a trap
- Redskins announce Lichtensteiger, Hall to injured reserve, two players signed
- Redskins move Kory Lichtensteiger to IR, make add at center, per report
- With DeAngelo Hall done for the year, Redskins try out former Gators safety
- Redskins' Cousins passing more often and more effectively on first down
- Number Crunch - Redskins offense looks poised for a breakout
- Center depth issues not new for Redskins - even with attempts to improve
- Kouandjio likely to start at left guard for Redskins on Sunday
- Need to Know: Final thoughts on Redskins vs. Giants—Is the Cousins of 2015 back yet?
- Gruden presser wrapup: Even he's not sure what a catch is