May 16, 2014, 4:30 AM EST
Here is what you need to know on this Friday, May 16, 11 days before the start of OTAs. Nickel coverage The Redskins’ rookie minicamp gets underway today; the media will be able to watch on Saturday. Here are five things I’ll be looking for:
Who returns punts and kicks? This never was resolved last year and among the players signed and drafted so far, none is an obvious candidate. They probably won’t do much more than just catch kicks but seeing who does that could be the first piece of the puzzle.
Does Spencer Long play center? I’m not sure if they are going to have Long line up in the middle of the line this year. But they could get an idea of what he can do if they do put him at center for this. In particular, they will get an idea of if shotgun/pistol snaps will come easily to him.
What’s Gruden’s on-field demeanor? Is he a yeller? How much individual instruction/attention does he give players? Does he observe the defense at all?
How well does Cody Hoffman move? The 6-4 wide receiver out of Brigham Young is a fan favorite to make the roster. They might be on to something since the receiving corps lacks height and that’s something that Gruden has been known to favor. But he needs to learn how to fight his way off the line and run better routes if he’s going to have a chance.
How is Bashaud Breeland’s game speed? If he had shaved a tenth or so off of his 4.53 time in the 40-yard dash he might have been a first- or second-round draft pick. Players can make up for a lack of great foot speed with smarts. It will be interesting to see how well Breeland anticipates and tracks the ball in the air.
Like Real Redskins on Facebook! Timeline
—It’s been 138 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be 114 days until they play the Texans in the 2014 season opener.
—Days until: OTAs 11; Training camp starts 68; Preseason opener Patriots @ Redskins 83
In case you missed it
- Depth chart review–defense
- Fan questions: Redskins’ depth, Seastrunk, O-line and more
- Redskins’ UDFA class is heavy on offense
- Redskins undrafted free agent capsules: Tall WR’s get a shot
- The Redskins’ 5 leading kickers of the past 20 years
Tandler talks about the 53-man roster.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Despite 2015 success, Vegas not high on 2016 Redskins
- Eagles release wide receiver Riley Cooper
- LeSean McCoy involved in incident with off-duty police officers
- Who is ready to take the next step for the Redskins' offense in 2016?
- Salary cap may take retirement decision out of Manning's hands
- Seahawks owner confirms Lynch retirement
- After Super Bowl loss, Cam Newton didn't have much to say
- With QBs struggling, Super Bowl 50 looked like a throwback game
- Five things the Redskins can learn from the Broncos
- Bryce Harper meets Steph Curry at the Super Bowl