May 14, 2014, 5:12 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Wednesday, May 14, two days before the Redskins’ hold their rookie minicamp.
Here are five NFC East draft picks who should concern the Redskins:
WR Odell Beckham, NYG—The Giants lost Hakeem Nicks, who appeared to be in decline, to free agency. They replaced him with Beckham, who is faster and will start giving the Redskins fits right away.
OL Zack Martin, DAL—A couple of years ago the Cowboys’ offensive line was a joke. Now the left side and center are solid as a rock. Martin is penciled in at left guard between tackle Tryon Smith and center Travis Frederick. That will give Tony Romo some of the best blindside protection in the league.
DE Demarcus Lawrence, DAL—It will be very interesting to watch how the career of Lawrence develops as this was the player the Cowboys traded up with the Redskins to acquire.
OLB Marcus Smith, PHI—They said that he was a “reach” in the first round (pick 26) but that won’t matter much if he ends up chasing Robert Griffin III around during their twice a year meetings.
WR Jordan Matthews, PHI—Technically he’s DeSean Jackson’s replacement but, at 6-3, he’s obviously a very different player. He won’t break off many big plays like Jackson but he will catch a lot of passes and move the chains in Chip Kelly’s fast-paced offense.
—It’s been 136 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be 116 days until they play the Texans in the 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Rookie minicamp 2; Training camp starts 70; Preseason opener Patriots @ Redskins 85
In case you missed it
- Allen: “No calls” about Cousins
- As expected, Vegas says the Redskins are Super Bowl long shots
- Redskins release WR Gettis, K Rogers
- Retooling the Redskins’ identity and other NFL draft thoughts
Gruden on the draft
Follow Us On Twitter
- Following NFL trend, Redskins sell naming rights for practice facility
- Can Redskins' Cousins continue to avoid the turnover bug?
- OPEN THREAD: Las Vegas betting information shows lack of respect for Redskins
- Need to Know: What are the Redskins' strongest and weakest areas?
- Cowboys bus involved in fatal crash in Arizona
- DeSean Jackson throws out first pitch at Sunday's Nationals game
- Redskins have many options at tight end, but don't count out Niles Paul
- NTK: Redskins by the numbers—First down rushing woes must be fixed
- NTK: The Redskins week that was—Moss' top five, final word on Cousins contract
- Kirk Cousins has same odds of winning 2016/17 NFL MVP as Mark Sanchez