May 14, 2014, 5:12 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Wednesday, May 14, two days before the Redskins’ hold their rookie minicamp.
Here are five NFC East draft picks who should concern the Redskins:
WR Odell Beckham, NYG—The Giants lost Hakeem Nicks, who appeared to be in decline, to free agency. They replaced him with Beckham, who is faster and will start giving the Redskins fits right away.
OL Zack Martin, DAL—A couple of years ago the Cowboys’ offensive line was a joke. Now the left side and center are solid as a rock. Martin is penciled in at left guard between tackle Tryon Smith and center Travis Frederick. That will give Tony Romo some of the best blindside protection in the league.
DE Demarcus Lawrence, DAL—It will be very interesting to watch how the career of Lawrence develops as this was the player the Cowboys traded up with the Redskins to acquire.
OLB Marcus Smith, PHI—They said that he was a “reach” in the first round (pick 26) but that won’t matter much if he ends up chasing Robert Griffin III around during their twice a year meetings.
WR Jordan Matthews, PHI—Technically he’s DeSean Jackson’s replacement but, at 6-3, he’s obviously a very different player. He won’t break off many big plays like Jackson but he will catch a lot of passes and move the chains in Chip Kelly’s fast-paced offense.
—It’s been 136 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be 116 days until they play the Texans in the 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Rookie minicamp 2; Training camp starts 70; Preseason opener Patriots @ Redskins 85
In case you missed it
- Allen: “No calls” about Cousins
- As expected, Vegas says the Redskins are Super Bowl long shots
- Redskins release WR Gettis, K Rogers
- Retooling the Redskins’ identity and other NFL draft thoughts
Gruden on the draft
Follow Us On Twitter
- Despite mistakes, Redskins' Gruden has faith in WR Grant
- NFC East Update: Redskins loss in Detroit might prove costly as Eagles beat Vikings
- Jay Gruden understands Redskins D-line complaints: They don't get paid to backpedal
- Bigger workloads for Redskins' Thompson, Kelley easier said than done
- Need to Know: Last words on Redskins vs. Lions—It just wasn't Washington's day
- Stephen A. Smith mocks Redskins again after loss to Lions
- Redskins injury report: Team will monitor Williams, Scherff
- Jordan Reed will practice for Redskins, but he's still not cleared to play vs. Bengals
- Josh Norman's return from concussion could be complicated by London travel
- Initial Trent Williams injury news is 'good,' per CSN source