Need to Know: 5 Redskins whose roster spots are in danger after the draft

May 12, 2014, 5:14 AM EST

Evan-Royster-camp

Here is what you need to know on this Monday, May 12, four days before the Redskins’ hold their rookie minicamp.

Nickel coverage

Here are five Redskins who will be pushed for roster spots because of just completed NFL draft

G Adam Gettis—I had Josh LeRibeus on the endangered list already after Mike McGlynn was signed in free agency. The addition of Spencer Long in the third round means that Gettis will be hard pressed to earn a spot on the 53-man roster.

RB Evan Royster—After the draft Jay Gruden was asked if what player he looked forward to seeing the most. His answer Lache Seastrunk and that’s bad news for Royster, the third-string running back. Royster has some skills but he’s not the home run threat that Gruden is looking for as a change of pace for Alfred Morris.

OT Tyler Polumbus—I could be a year early with this; I’m not predicting that he won’t be on the roster, but he has to watch out. Morgan Moses appears to be an eventual starter and if that happens sooner rather than later Polumbus and his $2.5 million cap number (and a contract that carries only $100,000 in dead cap) might not stick around as a backup.

CB E. J. Biggers—The acquisition of Bashaud Breeland in the fourth round creates a numbers game at cornerback. DeAngelo Hall, David Amerson, and Joey Tracy Porter are set in the top three spots. Richard Crawford, if he is healthy, is likely to be the returner. That leaves just one more corner spot and it’s doubtful that Biggers, who is on a contract that carries very little guaranteed money, would stay over Breeland.

K Kai Forbath—It’s not unusual for a team to bring in competition for a kicker, even for one who has been pretty good over the past two seasons. But it is unusual to spend a draft pick on competition, even a seventh. Zach Hocker can consistently boot the ball into the end zone and if he has good accuracy on field goals Forbath could be in trouble.

—It’s been 134 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be 118 days until they play the Texans in the 2014 season opener.

Days until: Rookie minicamp 5; Training camp starts 72; Preseason opener Patriots @ Redskins 87

1. dirtyrottenscoundrels - May 12, 2014 at 9:31 AM

Rich – I think you hit them pretty good, but I have to say that instead of Biggers, I might look at Minnefield not being there instead.

While Biggers made it on to the field, Minnefield’s health has remained problematic, especially since he underwent microfracture surgery.

I think that Biggers could get pushed back to CB5 if Breeland shows well.

I also don’t understand why everyone was freaked about taking a good kicker when they obviously had one guy targeted (according to some sources by Kotwica himself), felt he was very good and didn’t want to have to try and chase him in UDFA. I like it, personally, since we need competition to make sure not one player delivers less than their best. I think that’s the message Gruden is sending.

One note about Murphy – many pundits are panning him because he lacks edge speed and may have to slide inside, all the while slapping the Skins down for not picking an ILB. If he is a guy that they want to try outside but ends up having to move inside because he has the skills but not the speed, isn’t that a win-win if he succeeds at either position? If he can utilize his ball skills inside in a smaller area that negates his lack of speed somewhat and plays up to his other skills, don’t understand why that’s bad.

2. ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - May 12, 2014 at 9:40 AM

I agree on the kicker.

People love Cobra Kai’s accuracy (I do, too). But we should remember that the staff doesn’t trust him to try kicks longer than 50 yards.

Other teams do attempt those kicks, and the ones that have kickers who can make them have an edge.
    ~

• ifthethunderdontgetya™³²®© - May 12, 2014 at 9:41 AM

(By kicks, I mean field goal attempts.)
      ~

3. everyoneholdsorakpo - May 12, 2014 at 10:54 AM

I am so glad to see Gruden bring in some new rb’s. I heard today they signed Silas Redd from USC. Pretty sure he is not a threat to Alfred or Helu, but he most certainly will push Royster out. For the life of me, I have never seen anything in Royster. No elite speed, actually looks like he is running in sand. He can find the hole, but man after that he only gets what the D gives him. Really glad he will be gone, nothing personal. Seastrunk will be #3 back for sure. Blazing speed, elusiveness, home run threat. Royster will be done by the second week in August. We are finally getting better as a team I think.

4. renhoekk2 - May 12, 2014 at 12:31 PM

Of course the Redskins are giving up on their kicker. So he can go to another team and have great success. It’s part of their heritage. Gano hit 89% last season and Suisham hit 94%. So by all means let’s replace Forbath who is 88% since he got here because his kickoff’s don’t result in touchbacks often enough. Better idea is to get guys who can tackle to cover kicks.

• Rich Tandler - May 12, 2014 at 12:38 PM

I hear you on the kicker but the cold, hard facts are that Forbath is mediocre at best. He was 24th in field goal percentage (yes, he had some blocked), 30th in touchbacks, 32nd in net kickoff average. I’m not saying you give up on him but you can’t tell me that someone with those numbers shouldn’t get a quality challenge.

> >

• renhoekk2 - May 12, 2014 at 3:14 PM

I’m just tired of the Skins cycling through kickers, especially when they go else where and do well. So they obviously have ability. Gano and Suisham are two of the more recent ones. A lot of teams have the same kicker for years and years and the Skins have a new one every two years. It doesn’t make sense.

• Rich Tandler - May 12, 2014 at 3:23 PM

I get that. But if a guy is hurting the team (not sure Forbath is there) you can’t just stick with him for the sake of continuity or because you’re afraid of what the guy might do elsewhere.

> >

• shermanp79 - May 13, 2014 at 9:11 AM

I didn’t realize he was so low on % but I think he struggled coming back from injury. He had a great first year and I think KO distance can improve. I hope he has worked on that this off season. I get K can fall off at any point as they can turn it on out of nowhere. I just would prefer not to have a R but would live with it if overall production was better than Forbath. I think you choose one, keeping two K is stupid and wastes a spot for another position.

5. Straight Arrow - May 12, 2014 at 7:02 PM

Rich, please clue me in as to why Chester is not endangered? There seems to be a near-uniform view that he has performed poorly and doesn’t he represent a large cap hit (even taking into consideration dead cap money)? What is the opportunity cost (in terms of players not available for cap reasons) of keeping him around? With all of the younger OL candidates we now have, why didn’t he make your list?

• Rich Tandler - May 13, 2014 at 5:18 AM

Decision not up to fans, or me. I get the sense he will be replaced later rather than sooner. But there is a long way to go, we’ll see.

6. rhinochaserdesign - May 12, 2014 at 9:57 PM

Rich-

As far as drafting a kicker – is it likely that 1) the Skins talked with the new kicker pre-draft and felt like he wouldn’t want to sign here as a UDFA? and 2) the Skins used the draft pick because it was kind of like a ‘bonus’ pick from trading back in the 6th?

• Rich Tandler - May 13, 2014 at 5:24 AM

I don’t know about the first, all Jay and Bruce said was that Kotwica studied all of the kickers and that Hocker is the guy he wanted. The second, yes, Jay said that it was an extra pick and they didn’t want to have to wade through the UDFA market to get their guy.

7. aprilwalker2013 - May 13, 2014 at 12:20 PM