May 12, 2014, 5:14 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Monday, May 12, four days before the Redskins’ hold their rookie minicamp.
Here are five Redskins who will be pushed for roster spots because of just completed NFL draft
G Adam Gettis—I had Josh LeRibeus on the endangered list already after Mike McGlynn was signed in free agency. The addition of Spencer Long in the third round means that Gettis will be hard pressed to earn a spot on the 53-man roster.
RB Evan Royster—After the draft Jay Gruden was asked if what player he looked forward to seeing the most. His answer Lache Seastrunk and that’s bad news for Royster, the third-string running back. Royster has some skills but he’s not the home run threat that Gruden is looking for as a change of pace for Alfred Morris.
OT Tyler Polumbus—I could be a year early with this; I’m not predicting that he won’t be on the roster, but he has to watch out. Morgan Moses appears to be an eventual starter and if that happens sooner rather than later Polumbus and his $2.5 million cap number (and a contract that carries only $100,000 in dead cap) might not stick around as a backup.
CB E. J. Biggers—The acquisition of Bashaud Breeland in the fourth round creates a numbers game at cornerback. DeAngelo Hall, David Amerson, and
Joey Tracy Porter are set in the top three spots. Richard Crawford, if he is healthy, is likely to be the returner. That leaves just one more corner spot and it’s doubtful that Biggers, who is on a contract that carries very little guaranteed money, would stay over Breeland.
K Kai Forbath—It’s not unusual for a team to bring in competition for a kicker, even for one who has been pretty good over the past two seasons. But it is unusual to spend a draft pick on competition, even a seventh. Zach Hocker can consistently boot the ball into the end zone and if he has good accuracy on field goals Forbath could be in trouble.
—It’s been 134 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be 118 days until they play the Texans in the 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Rookie minicamp 5; Training camp starts 72; Preseason opener Patriots @ Redskins 87
In case you missed it
- Grading the Redskins draft
- 5 notes and quotes about the 5 newest Redskins
- Gruden especially excited about speedy RB Lache Seastrunk
Follow Us On Twitter
- Knighton's decision to bet on himself impressed Redskins
- Comments of the Week: Who said what about RG3?
- Lack of ties to current players helps Redskins GM make evaluations
- Redskins Draft Countdown: Penn State safety Adrian Amos
- OPEN THREAD: No help for Redskins offensive line until NFL Draft?
- Redskins face high roster turnover again in 2015
- Why the Redskins might not want to trade down in the draft
- Rich Tandler talks RG3 as the starter on PFT Live
- NFL takes away draft pick from 2015 Redskins opponent
- McCloughan wants Johnson to bring Seattle's swagger to Skins