May 11, 2014, 5:23 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Sunday, May 11, five days before the Redskins’ hold their rookie minicamp.
Five things to know about the five players the Redskins took in the draft yesterday:
4th round CB Bashaud Breeland (Clemson) said that he models his game after that of a current Redskins corner: “D-Hall, he was one of my favorite corners growing up. I model his game. He is a very, very, very interesting player. He is really good.”
5th round WR Ryan Grant (Tulane) did not talk much about his speed (a slow-ish 4.6 40 at the combine) but he liked what else he brought to the table. “I’m great with route running. I have great hands, quick in and out of my breaks. When the ball is in the air I’m going to go up there, contest the [defender], go and get the ball.”
6th round RB Lache Seastrunk (Baylor) on his receiving skills, which were rarely utilized (9 receptions in 2 years) with the Bears. “I really feel I can catch the ball very, very well. I feel like I proved that in the combine. I proved that in my pro day. I just feel like if you give me an opportunity, I know I’m going to utilize it.”
7th round TE Ted Bolser played another position in high school. “I came out of high school as a wide receiver, so I didn’t really put my hand in the ground at all. Throughout my process at Indiana, I got a lt better at blocking—a lot of people like how I block—and they see my effort in every single play. I play with a chip on my shoulder.”
7th round K Zach Hocker faces the tall task of beating out kicker Kai Forbath, who missed just two field goals that were not blocked last year. But Hocker could have another path onto the team. Jay Gruden did not rule out using an extra roster spot for a kickoff specialist. Hocker, who averaged 63.5 yards per kickoff with 34 of 50 kickoffs at Arkansas last year, could be good for the role.
—It’s been 133 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be 119 days until they play the Texans in the 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Rookie minicamp 5; Training camp starts 73; Preseason opener Patriots @ Redskins 88
In case you missed it
- Seastrunk on playing on RG3: “Coolest thing in the world”
- Redskins finish draft with kicker Zach Hocker
- Redskins take Indiana TE Ted Bolser
- Redskins take Baylor RB Lache Seastrunk in sixth round
- Grant will compete at crowded WR spot
- Redskins WR Ryan Grant: ‘God blessed me with great hands’
- Breeland should add to special teams core
- Redskins take WR Ryan Grant in fifth round
- New Redskins CB Breeland models his game after DeAngelo Hall
- Redskins add to secondary with pick of CB Bashaud Breeland
- Will Moses, Long develop into starters for the Redskins?
- 5 notes and quotes on the three newest Redskins
Follow Us On Twitter
- Need to Know: Final thoughts on Redskins vs. Giants
- Redskins vs Giants Preview: 5 things you need to know as 'Skins get desperate
- Tandler's Redskins-centric look around the NFL, Week 3
- Redskins Gruden on rookie Kendall Fuller: He's just the odd man out, for now
- Need to Know: Five Redskins who are under pressure against the Giants
- How Dr. Robin West handles when Redskins and Nationals players get hurt
- Redskins injury report: DeSean Jackson, Trent Williams good to go for Giants game
- Redskins' Preston Smith hasn't had start he wanted, but knows 'anything can happen'
- Redskins Playbook: Still lots of questions on defensive line
- Redskins vs. Giants Week 3 Preview, predictions, storylines, betting odds