Need to Know: 5 notes and quotes on the three newest Redskins

May 10, 2014, 6:32 AM EST

Trent-Murphy-Stanford

Here is what you need to know on this Saturday, May 10, six days before the Redskins’ hold their rookie minicamp.

Nickel coverage

Five quotes and notes about the three newest Redskins:

G Spencer Long is coming off of a knee injury that ended his 2013 season prematurely. The injury was to his left PCL and MCL and his recovery is doing well. “I’m just ready to hit the ground running for rookie minicamp next week.”

OLB Trent Murphy has large hands. In fact, at 11 1/8 inches he had the biggest hands measure at the NFL Combine. “I use my hands really well against offensive linemen,” he said. “If you talk to any hat I’ve pass rushed against, they’ll talk about how good my hands are and how they can never punch or get a strike on me.”

Murphy occasionally lined up with his hand in the dirt at Stanford but he prefers to be standing up at the snap. “I guess it depends on the situational down or what scheme they’re in at the moment, but as like a stand up two-point outside backer, putting my hand down and sealing that edge, is where I’d like to be.”

OT Morgan Moses on his pre-draft talks with Jay Gruden: “We had good conversations, just sitting there and talking about football, but really just connecting on a level outside of football. With the additions that the Redskins have, I feel like it’s going to be a great year. I just want to get in there and start working right now.”

Jay Gruden on competition on the offensive line: “I think all great teams will have competition at every position and that’s what we are trying to build here. We are not discounting anybody. We are happy with the guys that we acquired in free agency. We are happy with the guys that have played here and done a lot and accomplished a lot for the Redskins. So we are not penciling anybody as starters, but we are trying to provide ourselves with great competition day one of training camp and may the best man win.”

—It’s been 132 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be 120 days until they play the Texans in the 2014 season opener.

Days until: Rookie minicamp 6; Training camp starts 74; Preseason opener Patriots @ Redskins 89

1. thankslittlebrandonbanks - May 10, 2014 at 7:18 AM

I’m totally pleased with the results of our first three rounds. Great job acquiring an additional third and great job filling spots of need. While I’m familiar with Murphy and Moses, Long was a bit of a surprise. It wasn’t a negative, as I said, I’m not familiar enough with him to make that call and it’s certainly an area in need of upgrading. Any word on why they chose to pass on Yankey, Richardson, and G. Jackson in order to pick Long?

• maxpower65 - May 10, 2014 at 8:13 AM

My guess would be that Long has a good work ethic, unlike LeRibeus, and they didn’t want to get burned again by someone who didn’t love the game and work hard at refining their craft.

2. samhuff96 - May 10, 2014 at 7:45 AM

And all the speculation about who the ‘Skins would pick at 34 were wasted, just as we all knew anyway.

I suppose a lot of the critique of Moses was based on taking him at 34 or having to trade up to get him. Everybody you get in the 3rd round is allowed to have some deficiencies and need work, except kickers who need to be able to walk on water.

• maxpower65 - May 10, 2014 at 8:14 AM

LOL! About kickers. :)

3. kenlinkins - May 10, 2014 at 7:48 AM

These 3 guys seem more like the type who will be sitting around Redskins Park on Tuesday’s (their day off) talking football instead of going out to the clubs, making music video’s or flying off to do another Nike spot. Seems to me the Redskins purchased some clay, now we see if the new coaching staff can mold them into NFL players (i.e. coach). Coaching seems to have been the missing link the last 4 years. Murphy is Kerrigan light, Moses reminds me of Mark May (used his size in college and had a lot to learn when he got to the NFL) and Long seems like Russ Grim (no one out worked him or made him quit coming after you). IMO the Redskins did what they said they would, “Find guys who just love to play football and work at getting better each day”. I like the mind set, GM Allen managing the team and Coach Gruden (and staff) coaching the team. There is now a log jam at O-Line, lots of draft picks, a few Free Agents, and some Vet’s all looking to land jobs. Let the fun begin and the best men win!

• maxpower65 - May 10, 2014 at 8:16 AM

I agree with everything you said.

• bruce - May 11, 2014 at 5:59 AM

I agree completely

4. cowboyhater - May 10, 2014 at 7:51 AM

Borland getting snagged up by SF, who by the way didn’t need him, but have a feeling Hairball knew the skins really wanted him, right before skins picked sent their scouting crew scrambling, and panicking which resulted in a wasted pick in Long. How are you going to get a project player in the 3rd, when this kid would have been available in day 3. Just didn’t get that pick.

• Rich Tandler - May 10, 2014 at 8:22 AM

Ah, yes, I’m sure that Harbaugh takes players he doesn’t need just to mess with the Redskins’ draft strategy.

And I always love the “he was a reach/wasted pick because I haven’t heard of him” line from fans. Let’s see here. The team said publicly that it wanted bigger offensive linemen with an aggressive attitude and great work ethic. They take a lineman that fits that to a tee and somehow it was a panic move. This just in, “fans have heard of him” doesn’t count much on the grading scale.

The third round, by the way, is loaded with project players. A handful of the will start 10 games or more this year and many of them out of sheer necessity. The rest will play special teams and get a snap here and there. The Russell Wilsons of the world are rare.

> >

• maxpower65 - May 10, 2014 at 8:30 AM

Hi Rich,

I agree that you can’t judge a player because you’ve never heard of them. At least Long has all of the right intangibles.

Just wondering if you think LeRibeus was a “reach” when he was taken in the 3rd round in 2012? :)

• Rich Tandler - May 10, 2014 at 8:45 AM

For the most part, I reject the term, at least as most fans and media use it. “Reach” usually translates into “Mel Kiper didn’t rate him that high” or, as noted, “I’ve never heard of him.”

There are 32 teams and 32 draft boards. They are all very different. Different teams look for different qualities in players. Kiper and Mayock look for a different set of qualities.

Bottom line, if LeRibeus was the top rated player on the Redskins’ board and they took him then they blew the evaluation. They obviously seriously misjudged his desire to play the game. That’s not the same as Shanahan saying, hey, he’s really a fifth rounder but I feel like taking him here.

> >

• rtcwon - May 10, 2014 at 2:53 PM

I had no problem with picking LeRibeus in the third, my issue was him making the team his rookie year. Gettis clearly outplayed him in the preseason. I know they both made it and are still around (for now) but seems like the only reason they keep him was he was a third round pick. Players should be evaluated on what they put on tape not the round they were selected.

• kenlinkins - May 10, 2014 at 9:10 AM

Rich: All off season we read about the Orakpo concerns (Cap space, keeping both him and Kerrigan long term) and rebuilding the O-Line to better protect RG3 as two of the 4 major problems facing the Redskins (Speical Teams and better Pass Defense the other two). Why do you feel so many Redskins fans seem so up set with the top 3 picks? IMO the Redskins have been fooled by the picture “On the box” when drafting the last few years, this year it seems they looked into the Box to be sure it had what they wanted (i.e. guys who want to work hard to become NFL football players). While these were not sexy picks, they sure do seem sound (assuming coach Gruden and staff can coach), and if it turns out we beat Dallas out of a pick, all the better for us Redskins fans. Why all the noise about the picks?

• Rich Tandler - May 10, 2014 at 9:18 AM

I think that many in my profession have created the impression that NFL teams are supposed to come out of the draft with seven immediate starters and that the standard is that all of them should be around in the long term. Of course, that’s unrealistic. And then there is the “I’ve never heard of this guy so he must be a reach” line of thinking.

The above applies to most NFL fans. Redskins fans in particular will complain out of habit as much as anything else. And, unlike the draft mythology discussed above, that is legitimate. The Redskins have been unable to draft solid starters consistently for the last 20 years or so. The default option is to assume that they blew it. Again, until they prove that they can do better they aren’t really entitled to any benefit of the doubt.

> >

• maxpower65 - May 10, 2014 at 8:24 AM

I was thinking the same thing. But I can only assume they wanted a dependable guard for the future and Long was their guy. Although they possibly could have waited until the 4th round and still taken him, I’m guessing it was a strategic move: after the overnight wait and all teams have assessed the remaining talent available, other teams might want to trade for the 2nd pick in the 4th round and a dependable guard prospect might not be available at the next Redskins’ pick taken after negotiating a trade.

• captblood3000 - May 10, 2014 at 8:40 AM

I don’t get the Long pick either. They could have picked Terence Brooks, FS from Florida State, or Louis Nix, NT from Notre Dame. If they “followed the board” they must have assigned a round 2 grade to Long, but if more than a handful of other teams graded him that high, then Long would not have been available at #77. If Long does not start by 2015 then their scouts and Campbell got it wrong. Seriously.

• Rich Tandler - May 10, 2014 at 8:53 AM

That’s a rather high standard to place on Long and Campbell. Of the 17 players who were taken from the 77th pick through the end of the third round in 2012, six have been their team’s primary starters for one or both seasons. So with less than a 50% hit rate on your criteria they will have it “wrong”?

Looking at the entire 3rd round, 14 of the 32 players picked have been the primary starter one or two seasons.

> >

• tideskin - May 10, 2014 at 10:46 AM

Stop it, Rich, you’re being too logical.

5. shermanp79 - May 10, 2014 at 9:09 AM

They are taking football guys and that is a good thing. They took two positions that have big money coming up and Rak is getting big money now. They gave themselves options. If Moses develops and Polumbus continues to get better, they are a bit protected if Williams gets hurt or his money gets too rich. Until now if Williams got hurt then RG3 would be really running for his health. I liked Ealy but I guess the Skins feel he is better suited for a 4-3 scheme. I think it was a great move getting the extra pick, they got the OL they wanted and an OLB. I thought a C might have been a good pick but the top rated from USC was taken a few picks earlier. I like Boreland but the 49er got him and they draft well so he may have been our choice but the 49ers have Bowman injured so they do need help. It’s crazy to think they wanted to screw us. LOL I don’t know much about Long but I’m putting faith in they know the guys better than us, we don’t get to meet with the guys. I think they have done a good job. and I’m not surprised. I would have liked a TE or big WR but maybe they grab a Moncrief today, or take a TE, I think TE is less likely, the talented ones are gone and it may have to wait till next year. We cant fill all of our needs this year. I think we have a hole without that big target who has hands and can help in the RZ. Maybe Gettis is that guy? IDK he is young but hasn’t done much but WR can take a few years to develop. I like what they have done and the best guy available today should be the way to go. It was said above about coaching, this staff has to teach these guys, under Shanahan so few picks showed growth or weren’t used right, if at all. That is so important, no matter who we take. HTTR!!

• toonloonboon - May 10, 2014 at 9:21 AM

they are taking football guys and thats a good thing? what the hell does that mean? what did they take last year, basbeall guys?

• Rich Tandler - May 10, 2014 at 9:44 AM

If you need a translation, means they are putting a premium on players who care more about playing football than they care about what football can get them. I can think of several players drafted over the last few years who love money more than they love football.

> >

• thankslittlebrandonbanks - May 10, 2014 at 11:37 AM

Rich- I think most of the folks on here agree with your assessment. There are still relatively highly touted o line options available. It is insane to choose a third o lineman given all of our other needs? Suppose Yankey or Richardson is the highest player on the Washington board ? Obviously we haven’t addressed secondary at all yet or ILB. Just curious as to what the precedent and/or logic is concerning this.

• Rich Tandler - May 10, 2014 at 11:47 AM

Allen said the other day that if the same position kept coming up as best available they would take another route. But at this point in the draft I expect them to stay with their draft board and take some players who you don’t necessarily perceive as needs.

Also be aware that “highly touted” means zip in the Redskins’ draft room (or in any other team’s draft room). Their rankings differ vastly from Mel’s and Mayock’s.

• toonloonboon - May 10, 2014 at 10:48 AM

and if u need a translation, it is “yeah, yeah, yeah….ive heard this same rhetoric the day after every single draft of the past 15 years”

• Rich Tandler - May 10, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Oh? I don’t recall having heard antone say that’s now a point of emphasis. I assume you can produce quotes?

> > >

• toonloonboon - May 10, 2014 at 11:14 AM

wth is antone and yes, ive just carry carry around random peoples quotes of the past many years in my back pocket with me. the point is, its a very common thing fans say all the time…..”hey we got some real football players this year”. meanwhile, washington is in last place practically every year.

6. macjacmccoy - May 10, 2014 at 5:42 PM

I heard a lot of talk about reaches yesterday when the Eagles drafted Smith at 26. Then the Redskins go and take Murphy at 34 and the writers are silent. Interesting. Kidding aside, I think the stats for both of our teams’ 1st picks are lies. I watched a lot of film of both players since they were drafted and most of these guys sacks came when they were either unblocked, a teammate ran the qb right into them, or the qb gave himself up because of a bad snap or confusion in the backfield. I’ll credit Murphy and Smith with creating maybe 5 sacks a piece, but even that’s being generous. Also they both over pursue so much that tackles end up just riding them right out of the play on most downs. Its like all they got is the speed rush to the outside. Which means when the ball is ran their way the holes they leave are gigantic.

There is no way that either of these guys are 3 down players, and if they dont learn some other pass rush moves soon they will be lucky to get on the field at all. That’s just my imo though. Has anyone else watched the tape of these guys and seen something different?(Im talking about full game tape not just the highlights)

7. alextwrs - May 10, 2014 at 8:11 PM

Could have taken
    34th CK
    66th Konya ealy
    98th Cyril Richardson
    130th David Yankey
    162th Shane skov I stand by him no matter what

A lot of these players that we traded down for don’t stand much of a chance. I do like the t Murphy and Moses picks based on where we got them, but I see some talent overlook in early rounds.

8. murphsman - May 11, 2014 at 2:18 AM

Why does everyone say we needed ILB? We signed three in the offseason and Keenan Robinson still hasn’t gotten a chance to prove himself. I’m sure it will be on their draft board next year