May 10, 2014, 6:32 AM EST
Here is what you need to know on this Saturday, May 10, six days before the Redskins’ hold their rookie minicamp.
Five quotes and notes about the three newest Redskins:
G Spencer Long is coming off of a knee injury that ended his 2013 season prematurely. The injury was to his left PCL and MCL and his recovery is doing well. “I’m just ready to hit the ground running for rookie minicamp next week.”
OLB Trent Murphy has large hands. In fact, at 11 1/8 inches he had the biggest hands measure at the NFL Combine. “I use my hands really well against offensive linemen,” he said. “If you talk to any hat I’ve pass rushed against, they’ll talk about how good my hands are and how they can never punch or get a strike on me.”
Murphy occasionally lined up with his hand in the dirt at Stanford but he prefers to be standing up at the snap. “I guess it depends on the situational down or what scheme they’re in at the moment, but as like a stand up two-point outside backer, putting my hand down and sealing that edge, is where I’d like to be.”
OT Morgan Moses on his pre-draft talks with Jay Gruden: “We had good conversations, just sitting there and talking about football, but really just connecting on a level outside of football. With the additions that the Redskins have, I feel like it’s going to be a great year. I just want to get in there and start working right now.”
Jay Gruden on competition on the offensive line: “I think all great teams will have competition at every position and that’s what we are trying to build here. We are not discounting anybody. We are happy with the guys that we acquired in free agency. We are happy with the guys that have played here and done a lot and accomplished a lot for the Redskins. So we are not penciling anybody as starters, but we are trying to provide ourselves with great competition day one of training camp and may the best man win.”
—It’s been 132 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be 120 days until they play the Texans in the 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Rookie minicamp 6; Training camp starts 74; Preseason opener Patriots @ Redskins 89
In case you missed it
- Morgan Moses: “It was worth the wait”
- Redskins go OL again with Nebraska’s Long
- Murphy looks forward to learning from Orakpo, Kerrigan
- Redskins add to O-line with UVa’s Moses
- Murphy fits Gruden and Allen’s mold
- Redskins bolster pass rush, take Stanford OLB Trent Murphy
- Redskins make draft deal with rival Cowboys
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins OL Stanfel gets Hall of Fame nod
- Why have the Redskins not been to the Super Bowl in 24 years?
- Joe Jacoby falls short in Hall of Fame vote
- What do the Redskins need to do to build a Super Bowl team?
- Joe Jacoby's grandson set to follow grandfather's footsteps
- Can the Broncos’ exploit Cam’s weakness?
- A Super Bowl MVP with the D-O-Double G
- Which Redskins defender will make the biggest leap in 2016?
- With Davis and Allen back, Carolina's 'D' will be at full strength Sunday
- Kirk Cousins fills in the blank on The Players' Tribune