May 9, 2014, 6:19 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Friday, May 9, the day the Redskins make their first pick in the NFL draft.
Here are the five players taken in last night’s first round that will keep Redskins coaches awake nights before they play this year.
DL Jadaveon Clowney, Texans (1st)—He will make his NFL debut Sept. 7 by spending the afternoon chasing after Robert Griffin III. Jay Gruden will have to content with drawing up schemes to stop both Clowney and JJ Watt.
WR Mike Evans, Bucs (7th)—At 6-5, Evans will line up opposite Vincent Jackson, who is also 6-5. That’s a lot of receiver for the Redskins to cover in Week 11 at FedEx field.
DT Aaron Donald, Rams (13th)—He’s undersized but he can get after the quarterback from the inside. Add him to Robert Quinn and Chris Long pressuring from the outside and RG3 could be in for a long day when the Redskins host the Rams in Week 14.
LB Anthony Barr, Vikings (9th)—More trouble for Griffin and the offensive line. Barr is a disruptive pass rusher from the linebacker position. They meet in Week 9 in the Vikings’ temporary outdoor home.
WR Odell Beckham, Giants (12th)—Evans is the big receiver to contend with while Beckham is a burner. He will stretch the Redskins’ secondary twice next year in Week 4 at FedEx Field and in Week 15 at MetLife Stadium.
—It’s been 131 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be 121 days until they play the Texans in the 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Rookie minicamp 7; Training camp starts 75; Preseason opener Patriots @ Redskins 90
In case you missed it
Will Cousins be dealt? Tandler and Tarik discuss
Follow Us On Twitter
- Gruden and Vikings coach Mike Zimmer go way back
- RG3 is preparing to start vs. Vikings, Rob Carlin reports
- Ex-Eagle Westbrook says Philly misses D. Jackson badly
- Gruden on RG3 'He's at a hundred percent physically'
- Fantasy Fix - Week 9 rankings: Manning or Brady? Brady or Manning?
- Clark, Williams on Redskins' injury report for Thursday
- Gruden: RG3 won't have any restrictions Sunday
- Gruden: No drop off in expectations for RG3
- Gruden jokes he might just start Colt McCoy after all
- Gruden: We have the intent of starting RG3