May 9, 2014, 6:19 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Friday, May 9, the day the Redskins make their first pick in the NFL draft.
Here are the five players taken in last night’s first round that will keep Redskins coaches awake nights before they play this year.
DL Jadaveon Clowney, Texans (1st)—He will make his NFL debut Sept. 7 by spending the afternoon chasing after Robert Griffin III. Jay Gruden will have to content with drawing up schemes to stop both Clowney and JJ Watt.
WR Mike Evans, Bucs (7th)—At 6-5, Evans will line up opposite Vincent Jackson, who is also 6-5. That’s a lot of receiver for the Redskins to cover in Week 11 at FedEx field.
DT Aaron Donald, Rams (13th)—He’s undersized but he can get after the quarterback from the inside. Add him to Robert Quinn and Chris Long pressuring from the outside and RG3 could be in for a long day when the Redskins host the Rams in Week 14.
LB Anthony Barr, Vikings (9th)—More trouble for Griffin and the offensive line. Barr is a disruptive pass rusher from the linebacker position. They meet in Week 9 in the Vikings’ temporary outdoor home.
WR Odell Beckham, Giants (12th)—Evans is the big receiver to contend with while Beckham is a burner. He will stretch the Redskins’ secondary twice next year in Week 4 at FedEx Field and in Week 15 at MetLife Stadium.
—It’s been 131 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be 121 days until they play the Texans in the 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Rookie minicamp 7; Training camp starts 75; Preseason opener Patriots @ Redskins 90
In case you missed it
Will Cousins be dealt? Tandler and Tarik discuss
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins quarterback Colt McCoy sends a gift to one Texas police department
- Dan Snyder displays heart of burgundy and gold; pays for Chief Zee's funeral
- Redskins will try in-house options to replace Galette
- Gruden says focus with Kirk Cousins is on football, not contracts
- Madden ranked its top five tight ends. Jordan Reed isn't one of them
- Rearranging priorities helped make 2015 Redskins more successful
- Kirk Cousins on contract: 'Don't think we really did' get close to a deal
- Redskins' training camp facility walloped by Richmond storm
- Greg Hardy to Redskins? NFL expert says Dwight Freeney more "realistic"
- OPEN THREAD: After Galette injury, should Redskins switch Trent Murphy back to LB?