May 9, 2014, 6:19 AM EST
Here is what you need to know on this Friday, May 9, the day the Redskins make their first pick in the NFL draft.
Here are the five players taken in last night’s first round that will keep Redskins coaches awake nights before they play this year.
DL Jadaveon Clowney, Texans (1st)—He will make his NFL debut Sept. 7 by spending the afternoon chasing after Robert Griffin III. Jay Gruden will have to content with drawing up schemes to stop both Clowney and JJ Watt.
WR Mike Evans, Bucs (7th)—At 6-5, Evans will line up opposite Vincent Jackson, who is also 6-5. That’s a lot of receiver for the Redskins to cover in Week 11 at FedEx field.
DT Aaron Donald, Rams (13th)—He’s undersized but he can get after the quarterback from the inside. Add him to Robert Quinn and Chris Long pressuring from the outside and RG3 could be in for a long day when the Redskins host the Rams in Week 14.
LB Anthony Barr, Vikings (9th)—More trouble for Griffin and the offensive line. Barr is a disruptive pass rusher from the linebacker position. They meet in Week 9 in the Vikings’ temporary outdoor home.
WR Odell Beckham, Giants (12th)—Evans is the big receiver to contend with while Beckham is a burner. He will stretch the Redskins’ secondary twice next year in Week 4 at FedEx Field and in Week 15 at MetLife Stadium.
—It’s been 131 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be 121 days until they play the Texans in the 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Rookie minicamp 7; Training camp starts 75; Preseason opener Patriots @ Redskins 90
In case you missed it
Will Cousins be dealt? Tandler and Tarik discuss
Follow Us On Twitter
- Gruden saw the DeSean he wanted to see
- Two of Redskins' 2015 games still up in the air
- Projecting where Redskins will draft in first round
- OPEN THREAD: Redskins O-line bright spot vs Eagles
- Redskins improving in takeaway department lately
- Redskins rookie a 'long shot' to play against Cowboys
- Gruden, Redskins hope to hit offseason on a high note
- Gruden happy with play of young defenders
- Gruden names RG3 starter next week, praises improvement
- Defense against Eagles doesn't help Haslett's case