May 8, 2014, 12:21 PM EDT
As things stand now, the Redskins are spectators for tonight’s first round of the NFL Draft. They don’t own any of the top 32 picks due to the 2012 trade up to get in position to draft Robert Griffin III.
But the draft always changes almost as soon as it starts. There are a couple of ways that the Redskins could end up sending card up to the podium at Radio City Music Hall tonight.
One would be for them to trade up. If you use the draft trade value chart as a guide (and that’s what it is, a guide, not hard and fast rules) the Redskins could move up from the 34th pick to the 31st pick for the low, low price of their 5th-round pick.
Of course, that’s on paper. Right now there seems to be no reason for the Broncos to want to trade back out of the first round. But, on paper, such a move could be made.
Although the Redskins are unlikely to want to give up a higher pick to move up, should the see a compelling need they could move up to about the 28th pick with their fourth rounder and if they really want a guy they could get to around the 20th pick by burning their third rounder.
They could also trade a player to pick up a first. There is chatter going around that the Browns could send their second first-round pick, No. 26 overall, to Washington in exchange for quarterback Kirk Cousins. But that seems to be more a matter of some analysts connecting the dots from Cousins to Browns offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan than any kind of solid, sourced reporting.
The bottom line is that Redskins fans can probably keep any plans you might have for tonight and not have to worry about missing your team’s pick. But keep the smartphone handy just in case.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Who would Jason Taylor start at QB for the Redskins?
- Redskins sign LB Everette Brown to replace Brian Orakpo
- Cowboys release Michael Sam from practice squad
- Colt McCoy: 'Being ignored is a great motivator'
- Gruden gives struggling Morris a vote of confidence
- Competition coming at right tackle this week
- Redskins Q&A: Will Alfred Morris get going?
- Redskins' Breeland nominated for rookie honor
- OPEN THREAD: Is Trent Murphy ready to start?
- Week 8 Power Rankings: Mighty have fallen