May 8, 2014, 5:11 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Thursday, May 8, one day before the Redskins make their first pick in the NFL draft.
Here are five things to look for tonight during the first round of the draft that will affect the Redskins:
A run on quarterbacks—If quarterback-needy teams like the Jaguars and Browns go after their guys in the first round and other teams start trading up into the late first to reach for guys like Tom Savage the Redskins should be happy. That would mean that a lot of true first-round talent is getting left on the board as QB’s who are really third-round values are picked. Washington would be looking at a pretty good pool of prospects to choose from at 34.
A QB drought—Yes, not many quarterbacks being taken could work to the Redskins’ advantage as well. If teams wait until the second round for the quarterbacks they could overpay to trade up to get their guy who is still there at 34. The Redskins could move back in the second round and still get a good player plus a fourth- or maybe even a late third-round pick.
Lots of surprises—The first item on this list is a subset of this possibility. If teams are reaching for second-round talent in the first round, the Redskins could end up with a large pool of first-round talent from which to choose when their pick comes up.
Picks in the division—This is pretty obvious, paying attention to the guys who the Redskins will be facing twice a year. Last year the Giants, Cowboys, and Eagles all took offensive linemen so while they probably helped themselves they didn’t land any players who would scare you. This time around names like WR’s Mike Evans, Brandin Cooks and Odell Beckham are being tossed around the division so keep an eye on that.
A run on tackles—If, say, Morgan Moses goes to the Dolphins with the 19th pick, a run on tackles could ensure. The Redskins likely want to have the option of taking a tackle but there’s a possibility that all of them who could be good values with the 34th pick will be gone.
—It’s been 130 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be 122 days until they play the Texans in the 2014 season opener.
—Days until: Rookie minicamp 8; Training camp starts 76; Preseason opener Patriots @ Redskins 91
In case you missed it
- Will Skins go safety at No. 34?
- 2014 Mock Draft 12.0: Manziel mania
- Redskins trade down scenarios depend on draft board
- 5 notes and quotes from the Redskins’ pre-draft presser
- Deal or no deal for Cousins?
- Allen acknowledges increased focus on special teams
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins' Kirk Cousins consults current and former NFL starters for advice
- Need to Know: Redskins couldn't take advantage of fumble recoveries
- Kirk Cousins is excited about Jamison Crowder's growth, Josh Doctson's potential
- Quality of Redskins' receiving corps may hinge on Doctson's learning curve
- Redskins teammates give Jordan Reed a hard time for new big-money contract
- Redskins' David Bruton excited to get 'first crack' at starting safety job
- Months later, Redskins ILB Perry Riley still battling foot injury
- Need to Know: Cousins talks of Redskins' need for 'sustained success'
- Before signing Josh Norman, Redskins had sights set on Brandon Browner
- Josh Norman sees the fiery side of Kirk Cousins at Redskins OTAs: 'I was like, calm down'