May 7, 2014, 5:04 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Wednesday, May 7, one day before the NFL draft.
Here are five notes and quotes from the Redskins’ pre-draft press conference with Bruce Allen and Scott Campbell on Tuesday:
Allen on having a minicamp prior to the draft: From the personnel standpoint, it was wonderful to see the new players performing in the burgundy and gold. As far as the draft, it really doesn’t do anything to the draft. Scott didn’t change any of his grades on the players who are in this upcoming draft based on what happened in our minicamp.”
Allen on evaluating the Redskins’ recent drafts: “I don’t think you can say we’ve done well because of our record. I don’t really believe in grading drafts because we have a record. The Washington Redskins have got a lot of hardware and flags up there not through the draft but through other means of player acquisition.”
Allen on ties in grades being decided by future needs: “[Y]ou’re one injury away from needing a quarterback and it applies to every position. So we feel we’re going to be able to follow the draft board and go with the highest ranked player that we have. Obviously there’s going to be some ties and then you’ll lean toward a position that you might not have depth on for 2015 or ’16.”
Campbell on being prepared for anything, including coaching changes: “I’ve learned [that] you’ve got to evaluate the player and get all the information so that if something changes in your scheme for instance, if you go from a 4-3 to a 3-4, I have no control over that. You don’t want to say ‘Oh my gosh, I wasn’t even looking at 4-3 players.’ You evaluate all the players.”
Allen swatting aside the possibility that there is any Kirk Cousins trade talk brewing: “No, no conversations. As I said, we have three quarterbacks who can win for us and we’re happy to have Kirk on the team.”
—It’s been 129 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be 123 days until they play the Texans in the 2014 season opener.
—Days until: NFL Draft 1; Training camp starts 77; Preseason opener Patriots @ Redskins 92
In case you missed it
- Allen: ‘We might give Jackson a chance’
- No trade market for Cousins–yet
- Redskins looking for ‘hungry’ players
- Should the Redskins keep Tanard Jackson on the roster?
- 5 possible Redskins draft picks that could go very wrong
Follow Us On Twitter
- Hall sets record straight on pizza-centric torn Achilles story
- Eagles lose linebacker to torn ACL for second straight year
- Gruden on Griffin: 'I feel like he's on a steady climb'
- Trent Williams contract talks still ongoing
- Redskins CB David Amerson suffers possible shoulder injury
- Diehard Redskins fan converts lawn into insane Redskins shrine
- DeSean Jackson might just be right when he says nobody can cover him
- 2015 Fantasy Football rankings: The top 100
- Shoulder injury likely to cost rookie full season
- Redskins practice report, Day 5: RG3 sharp in 2-minute work