May 6, 2014, 4:44 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Tuesday, May 6, two days before the NFL draft.
Last week we looked at some potential picks who would be very safe. Here are five possible Redskins second-round draft picks that could go very wrong:
OT Cyrus Kouandjio, Alabama—His size and athletic ability are good enough for him to go in the first round but problematic knees push him down on draft boards. He could be a steal or maybe he’ll battle knee issues for his whole career.
DL Stephon Tuitt, Notre Dame—He clearly has the size and strength to be a solid player but he wasn’t during his junior year with the Fighting Irish. Tuitt decided to turn pro anyway, leaving questions about his desire.
LB Chris Borland, Wisconsin—The Redskins have a need at inside linebacker and Borland was a very good college player at the position. But he is likely to be a liability in coverage and not a good scheme fit.
WR Kelvin Benjamin, Florida State—Remember Rod Gardener, the 2001 first-round pick who earned the nickname “50-50” in honor of his chances of catching any given pass that hit him in the hands? If Benjamin can’t shake his case of the dropsies he could make Gardener look positively glue-fingered.
TE Austin Seferian-Jenkins, Washington—He’s big, talented and has a DUI conviction on his record. One report describes him as “a wild child who has been difficult to handle on and off the field.” ASJ could be very good player but he could be more trouble than he’s worth if he doesn’t grow up in a hurry.
—It’s been 128 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be 124 days until they play the Texans in the 2014 season opener.
—Days until: NFL Draft 2; Training camp starts 78; Preseason opener Patriots @ Redskins 93
In case you missed it
- Report: Tanard Jackson reinstated
- For many teams, the NFL Draft revolves around the QB position
- CSN’s Redskins draft board: Offensive tackle
- Redskins offseason hits midway point with plenty left to do
- 5 surprise picks the Redskins could make at 34
Follow Us On Twitter
- 25 Redskins questions: What will the 2015 record be?
- Joe Theismann agrees with decision to name RG3 the starter
- Who were McCloughan's best late-round picks?
- Eagles chase for Mariota might not be over
- Report: Top WR visited the Redskins
- For Garçon, Redskins must improve in 2015 or "it's all bad"
- Redskins sending coaches to meet with top edge rusher
- OPEN THREAD: Cowboys star makes Super Bowl guarantee
- 25 Redskins questions: A focus on offense or defense in the draft?
- Could the Redskins be looking to move . . . up?