May 5, 2014, 4:46 AM EST
Here is what you need to know on this Monday, May 5, three days before the NFL draft.
Here are five surprise picks the Redskins could make with their second-round pick.
CB Darqueze Dennard, Michigan State—This would be a surprise for the Redskins because not many expect him to be here at this point. But he does not seem to be as solidly in the top 25 as he was right after the combine and he could slide to the Redskins at 34.
CB Marcus Roberson, Florida—A few injuries, most notably a knee injury, hampered him last year. If the Redskins have him with a clean medical slate he could be their second-round pick.
WR Kelvin Benjamin, Florida State—Some would view this as a reach, some might view it as a steal. Everyone would be wondering why the Redskins spent their top pick on yet other wide receiver to go with Pierre Garçon and the two free agents they signed. But at 6-5 Benjamin has the size the other receivers lack and Jay Gruden may want that element badly enough to persuade Bruce Allen to pull the trigger here.
DE Dee Ford, Auburn—A lot of people are saying that the Redskins might want to get an edge rusher in case they can’t bring back Brian Orakpo. But I think most of those people would be surprised if it actually happens. You can sub DE Kony Ealy of Missouri or ILB Jeremiah Attaochu of Georgia Tech in this slot as well.
G Billy Turner, North Dakota State—He started for three years at tackle in college but he’s probably best suited to play inside. Turner is the combination of size (6-5, 315) and athletic ability that Gruden is looking for along the line and he might be the best player that no one has ever heard of.
—It’s been 127 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be 125 days until they play the Texans in the 2014 season opener.
—Days until: NFL Draft 3; Training camp starts 79; Preseason opener Patriots @ Redskins 94
In case you missed it
- Could a tight end be too good to pass up?
- NFL Draft talk dominates week’s top 5 Redskins posts
- Draft chatter: An instant starter at tackle for the Redskins?
Follow Us On Twitter
- Despite NFL QB shortage, Redskins will not bring back McCoy
- Redskins stay or go: RB Roy Helu Jr.
- OPEN THREAD: QB movement, but not for Kirk Cousins?
- Haynesworth calls out Redskins, warns Suh to research options
- Redskins re-sign safety despite injury-plagued 2014
- Playing the odds predicting the Redskins' 2015 O-line
- Redskins free agent fits: Defensive line
- OPEN THREAD: Any free agent QB make sense for the Redskins?
- NFL Mock Draft 4.0: Pass rusher or Danny Shelton or...?
- Redskins stay or go: QB Colt McCoy