May 3, 2014, 5:06 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Saturday, May 3, five days before the NFL draft.
Here are the five most talked about Redskins from the week that was:
Jay Gruden doesn’t have final say in the draft but it would be foolish to say that he doesn’t have a major voice in who’s selected. He got great productivity out of two tight ends in Cincinnati and it would not be surprising if he successfully lobbied for Bruce Allen to tab a second one to pair with Jordan Reed for the Redskins.
Is David Amerson ready to start at cornerback yet? We took a look at that question and concluded that a second-round pick who has 700 NFL snaps under his belt had better be able to start.
There’s plenty of optimism that DeSean Jackson can bring a major boost to the Redskins’ offense. But if you’ve been following the team for longer than, oh, 10 minutes or so you know that these things don’t always work out in Washington. Will Jackson boom or bust in DC?
The decision to franchise tag Brian Orakpo stirred up some controversy with some saying that he hasn’t played well enough to justify the $11.45 million salary. Now he stirred up some more discussion by saying that he was a “proven” player.
Robert Griffin III has been a team captain since midway through his rookie year so he certainly has some leadership traits. But with London Fletcher gone he will have to pick up the leadership intensity a notch or two. Appearing on TV, Fletcher speculated how well Griffin might be able to handle it.
—Redskins linebacker Perry Riley was born on this date in 1988.
—It’s been 125 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be 126 days until they play the Texans in the 2014 season opener.
—Days until: NFL Draft 5; Training camp starts 81; Preseason opener Patriots @ Redskins 97
In case you missed it
- Despite surgery, Bowen remains in Redskins’ plans
- CSN’s Redskins draft board: Cornerback
- Redskins exercise option on Kerrigan
- Twitter questions: Any surprise veteran cuts coming?
- Redskins’ Hatcher: ‘This is our team’
- 5 best defensive backs drafted by the Redskins
Follow Us On Twitter
- Need to Know: Six Redskins under pressure against the Bengals
- A tribute to a fallen hero: CSNMA's top ten Vines of all time
- No promise on playing, but Jordan Reed, Josh Norman traveling to London with Redskins
- Dispatches from London - A day with Tottenham Hotspur in advance of Redskins arrival
- Redskins' Matt Jones misses another practice, in doubt for Sunday
- Redskins running back Robert Kelley likely to get more carries Sunday
- How the Redskins plan to stop A.J. Green if Josh Norman can't play
- Virginia and Idaho really love Ryan Kerrigan, apparently
- Redskins preparing for A.J. Green - with or without Josh Norman - 'They show no fear'
- Need to Know: Around Redskins Park—Will Reed and Norman make the trip?