May 1, 2014, 5:06 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Thursday, May 1, seven days before the NFL draft.
Yesterday we looked at the five best offensive linemen who have been drafted in Round 2 since the start of the common draft in 1968. Let’s bring it a little closer to home with the top five O-linemen drafted by the Redskins (per the career Approximate Value metric used by Pro Football Reference).
Russ Grimm, Round 3/overall pick 69, 1981 (Career AV 76)—He’s the only one on this list who is in the Hall of Fame. An original Hog and a first-team All-Pro selection three times.
Mark Schlereth, 10/263, 1989 (CAV 69)—His story is pretty well known due to his post-playing career at ESPN. Although he is usually identified as a Bronco he did split his 12-year career evenly, spending six years each in Denver and Washington.
Raleigh McKenzie, 11/290, 1985 (CAV 64)—His longevity got him onto this list. McKenzie, who started at all three interior line positions, never made a Pro Bowl but he managed to stay in the league for 16 years, the first 10 of which were with the Redskins. As a member is the second iteration of the Hogs, he started for two Super Bowl winners in Washington.
Mark May, 1/20, 1981 (CAV 62)—This just goes to show you that where you’re drafted doesn’t always matter; May was the second-best lineman the Redskins took in this draft (see Grimm above). He was drafted as a tackle but moved inside to guard after his rookie year.
George Starke, 11/272, 1971 (CAV 69)—It says something here that of the five players on this list, three were drafted in rounds that no longer exist in the draft today. It says that the organization has been able to find late gems but perhaps they don’t put much value in the position. You also have to be alarmed by the fact that none of the players on this list were drafted in almost 25 years.
—Former Redskins receiver Gary Clark was born on this date in 1962.
—It’s been 123 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be 129 days until they play the Texans in the 2014 season opener.
—Days until: NFL Draft 7; Training camp starts 83; Preseason opener Patriots @ Redskins 99
In case you missed it
- Has Orakpo proven himself?
- Draft chatter: Chances good that best available at 34 plays D-line
- CSN’s Redskins draft board: Inside linebacker
- RG3 is fourth on player sales list
- The five best O-linemen drafted in the second round
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins NT Barry Cofield returns to practice
- [PHOTOS]: The 25 worst uniforms in college football
- Rookies Moses and Long move to the right side of Redskins' O-line
- RG3: 'I said what I needed to say'
- Jay Gruden 'doubtful' for Redskins-Ravens? (VIDEO)
- Gruden: Redskins defenders must deal with new rules emphasis
- What to watch: Redskins work to adapt to new offense
- Redskins' Hall hopes RG3 will learn to stay safe
- OPEN THREAD: Will Redskins rookie deliver in key spot?
- Redskins' Gruden looks for big impact from Jason Hatcher