Apr 30, 2014, 5:11 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Wednesday, April 30, eight days before the NFL draft.
The five best offensive linemen drafted in the second round since the common draft starting in 1968 (per the career Approximate Value metric used by Pro Football Reference).
Kevin Mawae, Seahawks, 1994 (36 overall, 109 career AV)—He was a starting center for 16 years with the Seahawks, Titans, and Jets. Mawae was selected first-team All-Pro three times, including two selections that were seven years apart (2001 and 2008).
Steve Wisniewski, Cowboys, 1989 (29 overall, 104 CAV)—Drafted by the Cowboys, he was traded to the Raiders during the draft and spent his career with the franchise in Los Angeles and Oakland. He started 206 of a possible 208 games from 1989-2001.
Larry Allen, Cowboys, 1994 (46 overall, 99 CAV)—The Cowboys held on to this one and he became one of the anchors on their line. It’s a flaw in either the Hall of Fame selection process or the AV metric that the two players with higher AV’s are not in the Hall and Allen and the player immediately following are.
Dermontti Dawson, Steelers, 1988 (44 overall, 98 CAV)—Six straight first-team All-Pro selections highlight Dawson’s resume.
Matt Light, Patriots, 2001 (48 overall, 89 CAV)—He started his rookie year, which happened to be the Patriots’ first Super Bowl championship season. Light was a part of every Patriots Super Bowl team since then.
—It’s been 122 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be 130 days until they play the Texans in the 2014 season opener.
—Days until: NFL Draft 8; Training camp starts 84; Redskins @ Eagles 144
In case you missed it
- Will Griffin bounce back?
- Draft chatter: Trade back scenarios for the Redskins
- Report: Redskins cut suspended D-lineman Moore
- Redskins open voluntary minicamp today
- RG3 says team did not lose confidence in 2013
- DeSean Jacksons five biggest plays of 2013
Follow Us On Twitter
- Shanahan on RG3's struggles: Injuries not the issue
- OPEN THREAD: Should the Redskins do Hard Knocks?
- Redskins OTA to-do list: Outside linebackers
- Examining Redskins' RG3's passing under pressure
- PHOTO: RG3 returns to social media to share birth of baby girl
- Redskins at the crossroads: RB Chris Thompson
- Five offensive players with work to do during Redskins OTAs
- Redskins OTA to-do list: Wide receivers and tight ends
- Redskins Ryan Kerrigan named to NFL's Top 100 list
- OPEN THREAD: How will new extra point rule affect Kai Forbath?