Apr 25, 2014, 5:16 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Friday, April 25, 13 days before the NFL draft.
With only six picks, the Redskins can’t afford to take chances with any of them, especially their top pick, the second one of the second round. Here are the five safest picks for the Redskins to take with the 34th overall selection in the draft.
G Xavier Su’a-Filo UCLA—We took a look at him here yesterday. He could be the safest second-round pick out there.
DL Ra’Shede Hageman, Minnesota—A solid player with a good work ethic. He’ll never lead the league in sacks, or even the team. But he’ll be a reliable starter for six years or so and get about half a dozen sacks for you every year.
FS Jimmie Ward, Northern Illinois—All of the other players on this list play with their hands in the dirt; Ward is the one exception. He is at low risk for being a bust because he combines good athletic ability with solid instincts.
G Gabe Jackson, Mississippi State—His athleticism makes him an excellent pass blocker and that’s the No. 1 asset a guard needs in this day and age.
OL Joel Bitonio, Nevada—You could start him at guard right away and then slide him out to tackle. His physical style will make him an asset anywhere along the line.
—It’s been 117 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be 135 days until they play the Texans in the 2014 season opener.
—Days until: First veteran minicamp 4; NFL Draft 13; Training camp starts 89
In case you missed it
- A guard for the Redskins at 34?
- CSN’s Redskins draft board: Defensive line
- 2014 Mock Draft 10.0: Clowney back on top
- Putting the Redskins schedule under the microscope
- Redskins’ Wk 16 game time vs. Eagles subject to change
- 5 pivotal 2014 Redskins games
Follow Us On Twitter
- Report: Stork to report to Redskins over the weekend
- Projecting the Redskins 53-man roster: First cuts approaching
- Redskins Playbook: Watching for the Stork as practice moves locations
- Money matters in Stork's decision to play for Redskins
- Need to Know: Other positions could squeeze Redskins' numbers at linebacker
- Redskins trade for Bryan Stork made official
- Is Bryan Stork retiring instead of joining the Redskins?
- Patriots trade C Bryan Stork to Redskins
- RB Chris Thompson unlikely to play in Bills game, says Jay Gruden
- Redskins' Blackmon, Hall learning to communicate as they convert to safety