Apr 23, 2014, 4:50 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Wednesday, April 23, 15 days before the NFL draft.
Here are five players widely projected to be taken late in the first round that the Redskins should hope slip to them (as a guide I used players taken from picks 20-32 on at least one of these CBSSports.com mock drafts):
DE Dee Ford, Auburn—Let’s face facts; it will be nearly impossible for the Redskins to sign both Brian Orakpo and Ryan Kerrigan to long term deals. One or both will be gone by 2016. A defense based on an aggressive pass rush needs, well, pass rushers. Ford, who had 8.5 sacks for Auburn last year and could do better lined up at outside linebacker where he can utilize his athletic ability to elude blockers.
ILB C. J. Mosley, Alabama—He’s mocked as high as 14th to the Bears and as low as out of the first round. The Redskins could search for a long time for someone to replace London Fletcher at inside linebacker. Or perhaps Mosley, the leader of the Crimson Tide’s tough defense, could fall into their laps.
FS Calvin Pryor, Louisville—Right now he appears to be top-20 material but his physical nature could scare off some teams in search of a safety but in fear of drawing too many personal-foul flags. The Redskins, of course, have a perpetual need at safety and might be willing to risk some laundry on the field to get the problem solved.
CB Darqueze Dennard, Michigan State—It seems that Dennard is more likely to be taken closer to the top 10 than the second round but some have him going in the late 20’s so a further slide is possible. He could be good enough to shake up the depth chart in the whole secondary.
CB Kyle Fuller, Virginia Tech—Fuller has gone from being a popular pick for the Redskins at 34 to someone who could be gone somewhere in the 20’s. Is his rise a result of media hype or is he actually moving up draft boards? He also could shake up the secondary depth chart.
—It’s been 115 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be about 137 days until they play another one.
—Days until: First veteran minicamp 6; NFL Draft 15; Training camp starts 91
In case you missed it
- Can Ben Kotwica give the special teams a kick in the pants?
- Jackson: Games vs. Eagles will be “something special”
- Who will return punts and kickoffs for the Redskins?
- Snyder on DeSean: “He’s really a good guy”
- Draft chatter: Buyer beware on Morgan Moses?
- The five 2014 Redskins games most worthy of prime time
Follow Us On Twitter
- New Redskins WR Doctson provides update on his surgically repaired wrist
- High marks for Redskins after selecting Josh Doctson in 1st round of NFL Draft
- Gruden compares Doctson to Bengals Pro Bowl receiver
- Why did the Redskins trade down one spot in the first round?
- Gruden: Norman signing played in to Redskins going offense in first round
- Doctson on joining Redskins: 'I'm happy and ready to get to work'
- Doctson may not start in 2016 but should have major role
- "The more the merrier:" Redskins players welcome another wideout
- Redskins address longterm need in elite WR with Doctson pick
- Redskins go offense in first round, take TCU WR Josh Doctson