Apr 23, 2014, 4:50 AM EST
Here is what you need to know on this Wednesday, April 23, 15 days before the NFL draft.
Here are five players widely projected to be taken late in the first round that the Redskins should hope slip to them (as a guide I used players taken from picks 20-32 on at least one of these CBSSports.com mock drafts):
DE Dee Ford, Auburn—Let’s face facts; it will be nearly impossible for the Redskins to sign both Brian Orakpo and Ryan Kerrigan to long term deals. One or both will be gone by 2016. A defense based on an aggressive pass rush needs, well, pass rushers. Ford, who had 8.5 sacks for Auburn last year and could do better lined up at outside linebacker where he can utilize his athletic ability to elude blockers.
ILB C. J. Mosley, Alabama—He’s mocked as high as 14th to the Bears and as low as out of the first round. The Redskins could search for a long time for someone to replace London Fletcher at inside linebacker. Or perhaps Mosley, the leader of the Crimson Tide’s tough defense, could fall into their laps.
FS Calvin Pryor, Louisville—Right now he appears to be top-20 material but his physical nature could scare off some teams in search of a safety but in fear of drawing too many personal-foul flags. The Redskins, of course, have a perpetual need at safety and might be willing to risk some laundry on the field to get the problem solved.
CB Darqueze Dennard, Michigan State—It seems that Dennard is more likely to be taken closer to the top 10 than the second round but some have him going in the late 20’s so a further slide is possible. He could be good enough to shake up the depth chart in the whole secondary.
CB Kyle Fuller, Virginia Tech—Fuller has gone from being a popular pick for the Redskins at 34 to someone who could be gone somewhere in the 20’s. Is his rise a result of media hype or is he actually moving up draft boards? He also could shake up the secondary depth chart.
—It’s been 115 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be about 137 days until they play another one.
—Days until: First veteran minicamp 6; NFL Draft 15; Training camp starts 91
In case you missed it
- Can Ben Kotwica give the special teams a kick in the pants?
- Jackson: Games vs. Eagles will be “something special”
- Who will return punts and kickoffs for the Redskins?
- Snyder on DeSean: “He’s really a good guy”
- Draft chatter: Buyer beware on Morgan Moses?
- The five 2014 Redskins games most worthy of prime time
Follow Us On Twitter
- DeSean Jackson on beating NYG: 'They said we couldn't do it'
- Cousins: 'It's great to have meaning football now in December'
- Dashon Goldson's leadership key in Redskins win over Giants
- Best of Redskins Kickoff and Postgame Live: Week 12
- Despite penalties, Jordan Reed comes up big for the Redskins
- Gruden on Cousins: 'Everybody looks up to him'
- Redskins TE Carrier day-to-day with ankle, Achilles injuries
- After important win over Giants, Joe Barry hit a hard postgame 'whip'
- Chris Baker's sandwich, 'The Swaggy Melt,' to debut at Harris Teeter
- A 3-2 finish could be good enough for Redskins to win the NFC East