Apr 22, 2014, 5:28 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Tuesday, April 22, 16 days before the NFL draft.
The NFL schedule should be out at some point in the next few days. The Redskins may or may not get the maximum of five prime time games scheduled but if they get the max, here are the five games that get the marquee treatment.
Redskins @ Eagles—You don’t have to be a network executive sporting a $3,000 suit to figure out this one. NFC East games tend to be prime time ratings gold under most circumstances and the kicker of the return of DeSean Jackson to Philadelphia will be quite a bonanza.
Redskins @ Colts— Another one you don’t need the smartest guys in the room to figure out. Robert Griffin III and Andrew Luck, the top two picks of the 2012 draft, met in the preseason as rookies. That doesn’t have a fraction of the sizzle that a regular-season matchup between two of the best young quarterbacks in the game will.
Rams @ Redskins—This is a good candidate for the Thursday game that every team has to play. They aren’t two top-notch teams but Tayvon Austin and Jackson can provide some entertainment and there is intrigue there due to the Griffin trade. Washington played its Thursday nighter on the road last year so they’re due to have this one at home.
Cowboys @ Redskins—This is a good Sunday night candidate. FOX doesn’t want to let too many NFC East games go and a month ago they didn’t expect to lose an Eagles-Redskins game. But they will relent.
Redskins @ 49ers—This game was a non-competitive dog on ESPN in 2013, perhaps they will give it another shot and hope that Griffin is more on point this year.
—It’s been 114 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be about 138 days until they play another one.
—Days until: First veteran minicamp 7; NFL Draft 16; Training camp starts 92
In case you missed it
- Draft chatter: Connecting the dots with draft visits
- Phase 2 of workouts starts
- NFL schedule release delayed again?
- Redskins view DeSean Jackson as their first-round pick
- Some players paid well for “voluntary” workouts
- RG3 at the White House, talks Wizards, Obamas, DeSean Jackson
Follow Us On Twitter
- Gruden: D-Hall may need to rely on experience, not athleticism
- What does Mariota's visit with the Redskins mean?
- Are there non-Mariota draft trade back scenarios for the Redskins?
- Jay Gruden on possibility Skins draft Mariota
- Tarik El-Bashir previews the Redskins' meeting with QB Marcus Mariota
- Redskins plan to host QB prospect Marcus Mariota
- Gruden's goal: Get Garçon more touches in '15
- Redskins' Gruden more confident in his approach in 2015
- How will roster continue to change under McCloughan?
- Jay Gruden has high hopes for Trent Murphy