Apr 22, 2014, 11:55 AM EDT
Offensive tackle Morgan Moses of Virginia has been a popular mock draft pick for the Redskins with the 34th overall pick. But should they steer clear if his name is on the board when they are on the clock?
The Dolphins are in desperate need of offensive linemen. Their offensive coordinator is Bill Lazor, who held the same job at Virginia from 2010-2012. His tenure covered the first three years of Moses’ Virginia career. So, is Lazor lobbying for the Dolphins to take his former tackle?
Apparently not. According to an article in the Palm Beach Post, the Dolphins are leaning towards Alabama tackle Cyrus Kouandjio over Moses with their first pick, 19th overall. One of the reasons is that, per a source, “the Dolphins are not as high on Moses with concerns over his work ethic and off-the-field issues”.
Any team looking at Moses would have to be concerned if he gets by the team that employs his former offensive coordinator, especially for those reasons. But it would be foolish to write off Moses as a candidate for the Redskins at No. 34.
For one thing, these “off-the-field issues” are very vague. Moses spent four years in Charlottesville and he was never arrested. He was on track to graduate with a degree in anthropology. Not that you can’t have some issues without getting arrested but it’s hard to see how there were many serious problem involving Moses when he managed to stay out of the newspapers and off of the police blotters.
Work ethic problems certainly are a concern but they are not unusual among young linemen and they are not incurable.
The bottom line is that just because a player who is not a good value for the team drafted with the 19th pick could well be a good value for the team picking 34th. The player the Redskins take there will have some flaws; otherwise, he wouldn’t still be there.
They will need to note the concerns about Moses and do their due diligence in investigating them. But they shouldn’t automatically remove him from their draft board just because Lazor may be giving him a less than ringing endorsement.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Report: Hatcher, Bowen start camp on PUP list
- Broncos owner giving up control due to Alzheimer's
- OPEN THREAD: RG3 or DeSean Jackson bigger storyline at camp?
- How does Gruden's style differ from Shanahan's? (VIDEO)
- Injury report: How are Redskins looking pre-camp? (VIDEO
- Springs or Smoot? Redskins Madden showdown (VIDEO)
- On the lookout for changes as Redskins camp gets going
- RGIII giving to southeast DC, 'know your why' (VIDEO)
- Wendy's Q&A: Who will be the Redskins' impact rookie?
- Fantasy Football: Top 100 preseason rankings revealed!