Apr 19, 2014, 5:00 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Saturday, April 19, 19 days before the NFL draft.
(Note: I’m going to be out of action for a few days here. I’m bringing back a few of the most popular Nickel Coverage posts from the last few months to give you a chance to rehash them. Back on Monday.)
Yes, it’s only 2014 but the way the NFL salary cap works you have to look into the future when deciding who to sign and how much to pay them. You also acquire players one year with an eye on who might be leaving the next year. Here are the Redskins’ top five free agents for 2015:
LB Brian Orakpo—After his one-year franchise tag he will be looking for a long-term contract. But the Redskins will have the option of tagging him again so they hold the upper hand (although the tag salary will be over $13 million).
LB Ryan Kerrigan—This is only a technicality, really. His rookie contract will be up but since he was a first-round draft pick the Redskins will have an option year they can exercise. It is almost certain that Kerrigan will be back for a salary of about $4-$5 million.
DE Jarvis Jenkins—Injury and a suspension have plagued Jenkins’ career. The 2011 second-round pick has not been anything special. If he plays like he has he’s probably someone the Redskins would like to have back but not a must-sign by any means.
WR Leonard Hankerson—His career has been somewhat similar to Jenkins’ although he hasn’t been suspended and his high moments have been a little bit higher. Still, he has yet to produce with any consistency and barring a major breakout he won’t be a priority signing a year from now.
RB Roy Helu Jr.—We will see how Helu fits into Jay Gruden’s offense. If he can find a role, he is the kind of guy the team would like to have back on a fairly inexpensive contract.
—It’s been 111 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be about 141 days until they play another one.
—Days until: First veteran minicamp 10; NFL Draft 19; Training camp starts 95
Follow Us On Twitter
- Wendy's Q&A: Has the defense really improved under Haslett?
- Redskins 2013 draft class already a bust
- Redskins cut ties to safety Bacarri Rambo
- Some game plan changes coming with Cousins at QB for the Redskins
- OPEN THREAD: How to prepare for McCoy, Sproles?
- Redskins snap counts vs. Jaguars--A heavy workload for Niles Paul
- Gruden says offense will not change for Cousins (VIDEO)
- Skins' confident in Cousins (VIDEO)
- 5 (non-RG3) notes and quotes from Jay Gruden's press conference
- Redskins WR DeSean Jackson might play in Philly