Apr 14, 2014, 4:44 AM EST
Here is what you need to know on this Monday, April 14, 24 days before the NFL draft.
Here are the five Redskins most helped by the coaching change from Mike Shanahan to Jay Gruden.
Brian Orakpo—I hit on this yesterday. If Jim Haslett does end up letting him go after the QB more he could have a huge year.
Robert Griffin III—This is not as obvious as you might think. Remember in 2012 the scheme that the Shanahans designed for him helped make him a star. But the relationship had simply diminished to the point where the only way things were going to get better was by ending it.
Jordan Reed—Except for brief stretches we never really saw the Shanahans get creative at all in trying to utilize Fred Davis’ talents. In the three years that Gruden was in Cincinnati tight end Germaine Gresham caught 15 touchdown passes. In that same time span all Redskins tight ends have combined to catch 11 TD’s. Gruden seems to be better suited to figuring out how to best deploy a weapon like Reed.
Brandon Jenkins—I’ll use him as a representative of all of the mid- and late-round draft picks who have languished on the bench. You have to think that Gruden will be more willing to give Jenkins, Adam Gettis, Tom Compton, Chris Thompson, and whoever gets drafted on Saturday this year more opportunities to win jobs or to play roles to get their feet wet at the very least.
Roy Helu—Passes out of the backfield were a rarity under the Shanahans, more of a move of desperation than a planned part of the offense. Gruden figured out how to use Gio Bernard in the passing game as a weapon and not strictly a safety valve. He could do the same for Helu.
—It’s been 106 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be about 146 days until they play another one.
—Days until: First veteran minicamp 15; NFL Draft 24; Training camp starts 100
In case you missed it
- The next step for Orakpo?
- Redskins’ Sundberg (knee surgery) cleared to return
- Draft chatter: Could CB Dennard fall to the Redskins?
- The five most popular Redskins’ posts of the week
Follow Us On Twitter
- DeSean Jackson criticizes 'naïve' Eagles defense
- Redskins 27, Eagles 24 thoughts and observations
- Jay Gruden 'impressed' with Robert Griffin III's performance
- Bashaud Breeland comes up big with fourth quarter pick
- Rookie LB Trent Murphy injures hand in Eagles game
- #RedskinsTalk crew sings RG3-themed Christmas carol
- Trent Williams fights through injury-riddled game
- RG3 after victory: 'This win’s about this team'
- Chip Kelly, Eagles fall prey to RG3, DeSean Jackson
- DeSean: 'Kick that bird [bleep] outta here!'