Apr 11, 2014, 4:55 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Friday, April 11, 27 days before the NFL draft.
In an unscientific survey of mock drafts that extend beyond the first round, here are five names I found coming up frequently for the Redskins with the 34th pick.
Morgan Moses, OT, Virginia—He’s just the right size for a Gruden offensive tackle at 6-6, 314. Moses started 43 of 48 games for the Cavaliers and you could probably plug him in at right tackle for the next eight years or so in Washington.
Kyle Fuller, CB, Virginia Tech—Staying in the Commonwealth, Fuller isn’t Legion of Boom sized but he’s plenty big at 6-0, 190. His hands are among his best assets; when he gets them on the ball he usually catches it. And while he’s waiting for a full-time role on defense he should be a strong special teams contributor.
Jimmie Ward, SS, Northern Illinois—Ward is athletic and aggressive, a solid tackler who, like Fuller, could be a strong special teams contributor while he learns the intricacies of the defense.
Kelvin Benjamin, WR, Florida State—If Jay Gruden really does like big receivers he’ll love the 6-5 Benjamin. He has been sliding off of here some since the signing of DeSean Jackson but the need for a red zone and move the chains target for Robert Griffin III remains.
Stephon Tuitt, DL, Notre Dame—Although the Redskins do have some depth on the D-line, it’s not really quality depth. This would go into the category of being a safe pick. Tuitt isn’t likely to be a star but you have to think he’ll be a solid player at worst.
—It’s been 103 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be about 149 days until they play another one.
—Days until: First veteran minicamp 18; NFL Draft 27; Training camp starts 103
In case you missed it
- Roberts: ‘I wanted to be the No. 2 receiver’
- What to look for during the Redskins’ preseason games
- 20 Questions: Who from the Redskins’ 2011 draft class will step up?
- Shanahan to Gruden, new philosophy for Redskins draft
- Redskins sign safety Akeem Davis
- The five best receivers the Redskins will face in 2014
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins bringing in another pass rusher?
- Report: Redskins to meet with recently cut Saints standout
- Looking at McCloughan's impact heading into training camp
- Tarik El-Bashir on what to expect from rookies at Redskins training camp
- Insider Tarik El-Bashir on Ryan Kerrigan's contract extension
- Kerrigan explains how CSN helped Sharknado role happen
- Gruden wants a Redskins locker room "full of Ryan Kerrigans"
- Gruden doesn't care for your unnamed sources
- Gruden hopes Kerrigan will continue to improve with new contract
- Kerrigan first Redskins first rounder extended since Chris Samuels