Apr 10, 2014, 11:55 AM EST
The NFL released teams’ preseason schedules yesterday—sort of. As usual, some of the specifics were left out. We only have the exact dates for two of them and we only have kickoff time for one of those.
But with opponents and sites and the order of the games determined we still have plenty to look at surrounding the Redskins’ four-game preseason slate. Here are a few thoughts on each game.
Week 1 vs. Patriots—A quick series or two is all that transplanted Bostonians are likely to see of Tom Brady. This will be a good test for the Redskins’ pass rush, which is supposedly going to be turbocharged by the addition of Jason Hatcher and a more aggressive scheme. Brady gets rid of the ball as quickly as anyone and it will be a good sign if the Redskins can get some heat on him.
Week 2 vs. Browns—Kyle Shanahan will be back but we won’t get much of a look at the offense he installs in Cleveland. Expect nothing but vanilla plays as the real deal will stay under wraps until the season opens. Eyes will be on the field pregame to see if Shanahan and Robert Griffin III exchange any pleasantries and ears on the broadcast booth as Jon Gruden critiques his brother Jay’s team.
Week 3 @ Ravens—Among the games that don’t count, this one counts the most. This will be Griffin’s most extensive game action since early last December when he was removed after three quarters of the game against the Chiefs and was kept on the bench for the last three games. The Ravens are not the defensive juggernaut they once were but they are a solid team that will provide Griffin and the Redskins will a good final prep session.
Week 4 @ Bucs—This is the only time the Redskins will have to get on a plane during the preseason. They should leave the top 30 players back in Ashburn for this one. If we’re looking for some drama it might be Colt McCoy’s last chance to convince Gruden to keep a third QB on the roster.
Follow Us On Twitter
- Production the bottom line in RG3 decision
- Gruden, Redskins react to RG3's benching
- Redskins teammates 'surprised' by RG3's benching
- McCoy: 'I don't know if I was benched, per se'
- Porter to injured reserve; Biggers, Hatcher out of practice
- Waiver wire: Thanksgiving Day goodies in Week 13
- Gruden: RG3 'very upset' when told news he was benched
- Gruden: Redskins QB position becoming 'merry-go-round'
- How long will Colt McCoy be Washington's starter?
- Jay Gruden benched RG3 to help reset his career