Should the Redskins draft a receiver?

Apr 8, 2014, 2:55 PM EST

Garcon-vs-Packers

As we noted yesterday, the Redskins have eight wide receivers on the roster. NFL teams generally carry a dozen receivers during minicamps and training camp so they will almost certainly add some wide receivers to the roster.

The question is, will they add camp fodder, bodies who will catch passes in practice, try go get a few good plays on film during preseason games, and then get cut when the games start to count? Might they add some marginal talent that might compete for a spot at the lower end of the depth chart? Or will the aim to bring in a player who will seriously compete for playing time?

The latter option likely means spending a high or mid-round draft pick at the position. In a draft that is deep in wide receivers it is very easy to envision scenario where the Redskins’ turn comes up in, say, round 3 and the best player on the board is a wide receiver. In fact, if teams wait on drafting receivers because there are so many the two or three best players on the board could be wide receivers.

What should the Redskins do? Your third-rounder isn’t expected to start right away but he should at some point in the next year or so. But on the Redskins the top three wide receivers, DeSean Jackson, Pierre Garçon, and Andre Roberts, are all still in their primes and under contract for three more years. Since rookies get four-year contracts a 2014 draft pick would be entering the final year of his deal before getting a shot at a starting job.

Still, despite needs in other areas, the Redskins should seriously consider taking the best player available even if that player happens to be a wide receiver.

For one thing, the receivers in line behind the three top are nothing to write home about. Santana Moss will be 35 soon, Leonard Hankerson is coming off of his second major injury in three years in the league and Aldrick Robinson has yet to show that he’s anything more than a fast guy. Should Jackson, Roberts, or Garçon miss any significant time there would be a considerable drop off in ability.

And, as we know, contracts in the NFL are far from ironclad. The Redskins could release Garçon and Roberts next year with minimal cap pain and Jackson could go in 2016. Although right now it’s difficult to imagine circumstances under which the Redskins would want to make any of those moves things can change in a hurry. And they can change very fast if there is a younger and cheaper backup pushing hard for some playing time.

Certainly if the Redskins end up getting a wide receiver at any point during the draft the critics will be out screaming about other needs. They will have a case, especially if a player at a position of need goes shortly after the Redskins’ pick. But injuries happen. Jackson and Garçon missed five and six games with injuries in 2012, respectively. If November rolls around and one or two of the top receivers are sidelined they won’t worry about what was said in early May.

1. abanig - Apr 8, 2014 at 3:19 PM

I propose the Redskins draft a receiver in the later rounds, meaning 5-7.

I’ve discussed this with many fans.

Some believe that after signing DeSean Jackson that the Redskins should just ignore the position in the draft, but I disagree.

The wide receiver position is the deepest position in the NFL Draft, and while the Redskins have greater needs that should be addressed with their 2nd, 3rd & even 4th round selection, once you get to rounds 5-7 you are just looking for the best players available and really not addressing need anymore or key reserves. You looking at special teams players and the best talent that you can develop for a few years and hopefully they’ll become a contributor for your team.

Even if the WR has to spend a year or 2 on the practice squad as a late round pick developing behind:

Garçon, Jackson, Roberts, Moss, Hankerson & Robinson – that’s fine!

We should be taking the best available players late in the draft and these wrs in the late rounds will be some of the best payers available at that point by a wide margin.

They also have the talent to help us on special teams as a 6th wide receiver if someone like Nick Williams doesn’t step up and take the punt returning job

2. ceetown22 - Apr 8, 2014 at 3:20 PM

Not with the 2nd round pick. Hopefully not with the 3rd round pick either. If we did draft a receiver, I would say only if that guy was at least 6′ 1″+ … really would like a 6′ 2″ or 6′ 3″ guy and hopefully get a contributor in the 4th round or later. I think the 2nd rounder should be used on an O-Lineman… RT or G. The 3rd rounder should be a CB or Safety… now that being said, if a good CB or safety is around at the 2nd round position and an O-lineman is not worthy of that spot then I would say take him…. I think our biggest needs are on the O-line, RT then G, then safety, then inside LB, then corner, then probably WR

• Chris - Apr 8, 2014 at 8:32 PM

Absolutely agree… Couldn’t have said it better myself!!!!

3. jayovalentine - Apr 8, 2014 at 3:34 PM

If Kelvin Benjamin is sitting there at 34 no way we let him go !! The kid is huge. The biggest WRs we have over 6 feet tall are Hankerson & Gettis.

4. unklewheez - Apr 8, 2014 at 4:21 PM

If receiver is best available in third round, trade down and get more picks. Imo.

• Stephfan - Apr 8, 2014 at 4:58 PM

With the 2 n 3rd round pick we should get a safty n corner.. The defense was bad last year lets not forget that… Get an ol with the 4-5 round picks snd with the last two we should get a wr and lb

5. timwillhidetimwillhide - Apr 8, 2014 at 4:52 PM

Best Player Avalible

6. Al Goode - Apr 8, 2014 at 6:01 PM

I would draft one of the WR from LSU in a NY heart beat if their on the board. Other than that RT from UVA or the one from Alabama! HTTR

7. internetcareer - Apr 8, 2014 at 6:54 PM

It’s pretty much of a foregone conclusion that if the Redskins guy is still on the board, then RIGHT TACKLE will be the pick. However, there would be nothing wrong with drafting a guard with #34 if a future pro bowl guard is there and there are a couple of guards that I can think of.

As far as receivers go, the 3rd round is not out of the realm of possibility and neither is a running back. keep in mind that Gruden wants a 3rd down scatback and in case Thompson can’t stay healthy. The Eagles have TWO smaller lighting quick backs and so the Skins wouldn’t be wrong if they tried to fight fire with fire.

I’d look for the Skins to draft another outside linebacker at some point. If Jordie Tripp is still there in the 3rd round the Skins may look at him. ….I’d like to see Michael Sam on the Skins because he can be had for a 5th or possibly a 6th round pick. He had 11.5 sacks as a 260 pound D.E. unless my memory fails me Orakpo had 11.5 sacks during his final year also. Plus Sam has lots of emotion and we can always use guys with fire in their belly.

But I really wanna know if the Skins are going to draft the best strongest legged kicker in college and let him put the ball in the endzone so we can make teams start from the 20 yard line instead of letting them run kickoffs back to the 35. Kye Forbath is a liability on kickoffs…period. if nothing else…get a strong legged punter and let him kickoff.

• internetcareer - Apr 8, 2014 at 6:56 PM

P.S. MICHAEL SAM could also be added to the special teams.

• Rich Tandler - Apr 8, 2014 at 6:57 PM

I edited your comment because of your unnecessary words prior to discussing Michael Sam.

8. Caleb Ackman - Apr 8, 2014 at 7:23 PM

I think if WR Jordan Mathews from Vandy is still on the board at #34, the Skins should draft him. However if he is takin by the time their pick comes, we should draft SS Jimmy Ward from Northern Illinois.

9. Hart - Apr 8, 2014 at 9:48 PM

Draft a RT in the 2nd round. Then get a corner in the 3rd. Our defense needs to be restocked. Wait a year on the WR. Give Haslett something to work with. But Oline needs to be our first pick. Rt..RG..center. RG3 will need time to drop back and time for the fast wrs we have to actually get deep. Build a FOUNDATION before you go window shopping.

10. shermanp79 - Apr 8, 2014 at 10:02 PM

I think they still need a tall WR or even a 6-5 TE. They need a big target and a player that can go get it, especially in the RZ. I still think if Benjamin or Mathews is there at #34 they should give serious thought and take them. They have added guys in FA and it gives them some flexibility. They need to draft a ILB, and RT but WR has a hole with all of them at 6′ or under aside from Hank. I think they take the highest guy on their board. The signings in FA helps fill some needs, they can upgrade the areas over the next couple of years. I could see them even grabbing a TE, it would help the RZ situation and they could grab a WR next year. I can also see them drafting OLB and DL to add more depth. The RAK situation isn’t long term and with Kerrigan coming due in 2 yrs., I don’t see them paying both big money. The Steelers for years have let guys go when the money got too high. If Kerrigan can improve his sack production, instead of always being a step late, along with his big plays and other production, I can see them preferring to sign him over RAK. I do think RAK will have a big year but they don’t really want to pay him 9-12 million a year, it’s to much for a pass rusher. It would be great if they could do a sign and trade next year, then they could get something. If he signed elsewhere they would have a shot at a high compensation pick. It’s just another way to keep building this team. As far as the Draft this year, I can see them filling as I said OL, ILB, WR with early picks and then maybe going with best available guy. If they don’t like Helu(as I do) then maybe a RB, OLB,S and TE later in the Draft. This team is very young and I think the new regime needs this year to evaluate them but next years Draft will be very important to finish building this team for a long playoff run for years to come. If some of the young guys get a chance to get on the field, the past 3 Drafts may turn out OK and next year could finalize the team. They always will have needs with FA but they will have a solid foundation. I’m excited about how things are going and they might be better than the 8-8 I was hoping for, I think they need the higher 1st rd. pick those picks are needed to get that great player. A guy who is an impact player. With the trade for RG3 losing a high 2nd and now the 2nd pick in draft along with last years late mid 1st rd. pick it cost us 3 really good players. Imagine what a S,DL or LB, CB or WR at those positions would have added to the team> I still think they gave up too much but hopefully RG3 will become our Brady or Manning with blazing speed., Now that I’ve gone well beyond the WR issue, I do think they need that Big Target and would be fine with them taking one at #34 but understanding it’s a building process I wouldn’t panic if they grabbed one later or even next year. They need height and I don’t want them to just draft one, I think they need to look for a specific type of guy. I still would like Britt if they can’t get that type of guy. It is worth the risk, I wonder if Britt will come here now with Jackson, unless there are no other offers.

• internetcareer - Apr 8, 2014 at 10:21 PM

the Skins already have a 6’5 tight end. His name is Logan Paulson and he caught THREE Touchtowns last season and is a very good blocker at well. I don’t think we need a TE except as a reserve. Maybe a 6th round pick is a possbility.

• Rich Tandler - Apr 9, 2014 at 6:35 AM

Nice comments, I think. I can only get so far in them. If I may offer a friendly suggestion, use the return key and break it up into paragraphs.

• ceetown22 - Apr 9, 2014 at 12:21 PM

Rich – I think I prefer your page to pretty much all the sports pages I read… and I read a lot of them, but I may also be partial to the fact that it is a Redskins page

• ceetown22 - Apr 9, 2014 at 12:24 PM

Britt signed with the Rams

11. Matt UK - Apr 9, 2014 at 3:18 AM

Unless a TOP receiver prospect falls, we do not have the luxury of picking anything other than RT, G, ILB or secondary in rounds 2 and 3. We have glaring holes on the O line and at ILB in particular and we absolutely have to find a starter in round 2 for one of these positions. I am very worried about our O Line. Its all well and good having talented receivers but RG3 needs time to drop back and read and adding the back up guard from Cleveland isn’t going to fix this problem. Mr Morris will need another big year (he is a class act on and off the field) so play action stalls opposition pass rushes.

12. alextwrs - Apr 9, 2014 at 7:35 AM

O line all day with the second round pick. Third round Cb’s should still be a plenty, if not, pickup the best ILB available then go inside Oline again. If a WR that fits Grudens likings is around (4th round or later) get em but I like the Michael Sams idea as well. I think our defense will look totally different in a couple years and this draft may be the start of its new look. Dont be surprised if Rak doesnt last with us past this yr.

• ceetown22 - Apr 9, 2014 at 12:20 PM

why no Rak? you think he will want tooo much $$?

• alextwrs - Apr 10, 2014 at 7:34 AM

I think we could have had Alex Mack, and Dqwell Jackson for the money we spent on RAK. So yea hes not worth the money going forward. Im big on letting young talent play and I like the Jenkins kid to replace him. My biggest opinion lies with Kerrigan getting the contract after this year not RAK. Kerrigan is a play maker and I dont think he will ask for as much money as well.

13. kenlinkins - Apr 9, 2014 at 12:41 PM

I think many football fans are still trying to get a handle on the effects of the CBA on the value of higher draft picks. IMO it has increased the value of the picks, guys who play for a lot less money the first 4 years. Maybe the old Draft Pick Value charts requires updating as higher picks gives you more Cap Space to sign Free Agents at the most skilled positions (OLB, QB, CB, LT, WR) when you must have them due to injury or your Free Agents leaving.
    A team trying to become a solid team can not try and target a position early in the draft. Better players make better teams, you can’t pass on a much higher rated guy if he up grades the team. Follow this process, over 2 to 3 years of taking the better player you will have a better team, a solid team, and a team that costs you less and saves Cap Space you can use to fill holes as required.
    In the Redskins case, the only positions I would avoid are QB, and RB this year, every other position could use a up grade or better plan moving forward (i.e. Orakpo). While you may still have holes in years 1 and 2, the other positions should become rock solid and you have a better over all team.
    SO, the short answer is NO, the Redskins should not look to draft a WR at #34 unless that player is by far the highest player rated not yet drafted.

14. rcjur - Apr 9, 2014 at 12:54 PM

Redskins need one more player to add to dline to put pressure on qb. DLine is not there yet and could hurt us this season if we don’t add one more young stud. At #34 they should target, if available S. Truitt. Tritt could eventually start and team could have Cofield, Jenkins, Baker and Neil as the backups, depth players. Release Gholston and Bowen and draft Truitt should be the plan. As for WR, Garcon, Jackson and Roberts is a great start however this team needs bigger wr’s therefore I would resign RFA Briscoe and if Gettis shows some talent Skins can then say goodbye to Moss, Hankerson and Williams. If anything happens to Garcon or Jackson I would prefer bigger capable wr’s Briscoe and Gettis instead of Moss and Hankerson. Moss is too old; Hankerson too injury prone and should be traded for late round pick and Williams just isn’t good enough.

• alextwrs - Apr 10, 2014 at 7:41 AM

Wow cut Gholston but go pickup Briscoe, not understanding this at all. Gholston plays well for minimal money. Let Gettis work out but he is a liability as well. I like Truitt but our glaring need is RT. Next ILB. After that Safety/CB. I like Truitt I really do, but Haslett loves Cofield. I think Baker should be our NT though.