Apr 7, 2014, 4:50 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Monday, April 7, 31 days before the NFL draft.
Five quick thoughts about the Redskins as they start up their offseason workout program:
1. Will the Redskins maximize Jackson’s talents this year? I’m looking at what Mike Wallace did in Miami last year. I see a decent number of catches (73) but a pedestrian 12.7-yard per catch average, a career low. Jackson averaged 16.2 per grab last year. Can the Redskins make that happen this year?
2. Ryan Clark is an upgrade at safety and Jason Hatcher will be a handful for opposing lines to deal with. Barring an impact draft pick that will be the extent of the personnel improvement on defense. Can Jim Haslett’s scheme take that and substantially improve the performance of the defense? On paper it can but we will have to see.
3. In addition to the scheme, another key to the defense improving will be Perry Riley. He will be the man in the middle calling the signals. Of course, that has been London Fletcher’s job since he came to the team in 2007. Fletcher took Riley under his wing early on but it takes years to develop the instincts that he built over the years. We will see if Riley can pick up where Fletcher left off.
4. A lot of people were rolling their eyes over the weekend when Robert Griffin III pumped up his new Instagram account on Saturday and used it to introduce his new logo on Sunday. Oh well. Still much better than a year ago when his tweets were veiled messages and we kept hearing that he was “ahead of schedule” on his knee rehab. I’ll take an overhyped logo unveiling any day.
5. Even before the acquisition of Jackson, many were wringing their hands worried about Alfred Morris not getting enough work to be effective. But Jay Gruden had some pretty effective receivers in Cincinnati and in his three years there the Bengals were 10th, 17th, and 8th in the league in rushing attempts. You won’t see Morris suffering from a lack of work.
Like Real Redskins on Facebook! Timeline
—It’s been 99 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be about 153 days until they play another one.
—Days until: NFL Draft 31; Training camp starts 107
In case you missed it
- Cap tight but no action needed now
- Jackson wasn’t told why the Eagles released him
- Enemy Intel: Indianapolis Colts
- Ryan Clark will wear No. 21–at practice
- Mock Draft 7.0, Jackson coverage among week’s most popular Redskins posts
- DeSean Jackson hit piece lacking in specifics
- The five most talked about Redskins players this week
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins sign 13 undrafted free agents
- Jordan Reed doesn't see how defenses will be able to keep up with Redskins' legion of receivers
- Jordan Reed eager to prove he's worth the money
- Jordan Reed discusses big contract extension with the Redskins
- Redskins get a draft pick in the fold
- Redskins building a long-term core of star players
- Reed deal a big item off of Redskins to-do list
- Redskins make Jordan Reed second-highest paid tight end in NFL
- What do sports books think of Doctson's chances to win Rookie of the Year?
- After 2016 NFL Draft, Redskins Super Bowl odds shift for next season