Apr 4, 2014, 5:35 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Friday, April 4, three days before the Redskins start their offseason workouts.
Here are five things that are next for the Redskins after the DeSean Jackson signing.
Get on the field—Offseason workouts start on Monday. The first phase is conditioning and the only use of a football can be a quarterback throwing to a receiver without a defender. They will progress to the point where the offense and defense can run plays but they can’t line up against each other. So what will be going on at Redskins Park won’t look much like football but it will be something of a landmark in Jay Gruden’s first season with the Redskins.
Pre-draft minicamp—We don’t have a date for this yet but it should be around the first of May, about a week before the draft. It will give Gruden a chance to evaluate the players he has working within his system prior to going into the draft.
The draft—It starts on May 8 but since the Redskins are unlikely to trade up into the first round the key date will be the next day. Bruce Allen and Scott Campbell, running their first Redskins draft without Mike Shanahan having the final say on the picks, will try to pluck two players who can start at some point in 2014 in rounds two and three. The next day will be about depth and special teams.
Post draft signings—They will sign some undrafted free agents immediately after the draft is over. That process will continue during a rookie minicamp shortly after the draft when undrafted players will be invited to try out.
OTAs and minicamp—Right after the rookie camp the team will commence OTAs. Those will go on for a few weeks as what was learned in the early workouts will be used to actually run plays in Gruden’s offense. We don’t have the schedule yet but most teams will run their OTAs into June and finish them up with a four-day minicamp. Then they will break until training camp starts in late July.
—It’s been 96 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be about 156 days until they play another one.
—Days until: Offseason workouts start 3; NFL Draft 34; Training camp starts 110
In case you missed it
- Deal a win-win for Jackson, Skins
- Redskins sign QB Colt McCoy
- RG3 to keep wearing No. 10 for Redskins
- What does the McCoy signing mean for Cousins, Rex?
- DeSean Jackson says facing the Eagles in ’14 will be ’emotional’
- DeSean Jackson has run wild vs. NFC East
- The five most important Jackson storylines
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins will watch injuries to key players on both sides of the ball
- New #RedskinsTalk Podcast - After near storybook ending, heartbreak in Detroit
- Jay Gruden says Redskins defense should have been more aggressive in final series
- Five observations from the Redskins' loss to the Lions
- VIDEO: Trent Williams walks gingerly while helped to locker room after injury
- Redskins take late lead on Cousins TD, give up late lead on Boldin TD
- Josh Norman leaves game with concussion
- Redskins inactives vs. Lions: Despite shoulder injury, DeSean Jackson will play
- Need to Know: Redskins vs. Lions final thoughts—A big day for Jones?
- Enemy Intel: Around the NFL, Week 7—Giants boot away any claim the high ground