Apr 3, 2014, 4:39 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Thursday, April 3, four days before the Redskins start their offseason workouts.
Here are yesterday’s five most important DeSean Jackson story lines:
Jackson signs for 3 years, $24 million with $16 million guaranteed—There are some details that need to be sorted through but the important number right now is that the deal will consume $4.25 million in cap space in 2014.
Cap casualties likely on the way—The cap hits from Jackson’s deal and from Ryan Clark’s contract will shrink the Redskins’ available cap space down to about $1.5 million. That means some releases, restructures or reductions in pay are on the way, although they may not happen immediately. The names to watch are Stephen Bowen and Pierre Garçon.
The Redskins are all in—The signing of Jackson means that the Redskins aren’t content to slowly rebuild after last year’s 3-13 train wreck. The clearly are looking to contend in the NFC East while taking advantage of the last two years of Robert Griffin III’s rookie contract.
What number will Jackson get?—That may not sound important but it’s big business. If Jackson took his familiar No. 10 from Griffin someone would be on the hook to pay for all of those Griffin III No. 10 jerseys hanging up in stores across the country. But we may have cracked the case.
Jackson says that being cut was a “humbling experience”—The Philly perspective of Jackson’s conference call with the media yesterday.
—It’s been 95 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be about 157 days until they play another one.
—Days until: Offseason workouts start 4; NFL Draft 35; Training camp starts 111
In case you missed it
- Statement made: Redskins are all in
- A hint to Jackson’s new number?
- 2014 NFL Mock Draft 7.0: Who is number one?
- Top line on Jackson’ contract: 3 years, $24 million
- Which Redskins will be most affected by Jackson signing?
- Releases, restructures may follow Jackson contract with Redskins
- DeSean Jackson: The Playmaker
Jackson: I give it all I’ve got
Follow Us On Twitter
- Demaryius Thomas to Josh Norman: Where's your Super Bowl ring?
- Josh Norman on increased attention: I'm no longer the underdog
- Redskins RB Matt Jones on shoulder rehab: I'm making big strides
- Jay Gruden: Josh Doctson may play in Redskins' opening game
- Joe Theismann reacts to RG3 tattoo, points out he's 'not even divorced yet'
- Starbucks butchered Redskins rookie Su'a Cravens name so bad he now uses a pseudonym
- Jones says he's feeling better, praises Redskins' other running backs
- Reports: Cowboys' Dez Bryant suffers concussion, will miss preseason game
- Redskins Playbook: Battle for running back reps is on
- Redskins’ left guard competition still undecided