Apr 2, 2014, 3:32 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Wednesday, April 2, five days before the Redskins start their offseason workouts.
Which current Redskins would be most affected by the Redskins landing DeSean Jackson? Here’s a look at five who will either benefit or be negatively affected by Jackson in burgundy and gold.
Brian Orakpo—We haven’t seen any contract details but it’s a good bet that Jackson’s first-year contract hit will have to be fairly low to fit under the cap room remaining. That means a bigger hit next year and that could make it difficult to give Orakpo a second tag or to sign him to a new deal.
Robert Griffin III—This doesn’t require an advanced degree in football analytics to figure out. With Jackson lined up Pierre Garçon with Jordan Reed roaming between the numbers, Griffin should have plenty of open targets and he will have an easier time regaining his 2012 form.
Stephen Bowen—Even a first-year cap friendly deal for Jackson would put the Redskins in quite a squeeze and the team might have to give up on hoping that Bowen’s knee will improve and cut him loose to save the cap space.
Leonard Hankerson—He has been second or third on the wide receiver depth chart when he has been healthy ever since the first several games of his rookie season. But with the top three of Jackson, Garçon, and Andre Roberts, Hankerson will have to scuffle for snaps.
Jordan Reed—Certainly Garçon and Andre Roberts would be helped by the extra attention given to Jackson but his presence also will take some targets away from the other wide receivers. Reed will get some more of the shorter passes and he should have room to operate.
Like Real Redskins on Facebook! Timeline
—It’s been 94 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be about 158 days until they play another one.
—Days until: Offseason workouts start 5; NFL Draft 36; Training camp starts 112
In case you missed it
- Jackson leaves, but may return
- Gruden could hamper Alfred Morris fantasy impact
- Moss: Clark ‘a quarterback on defense’
- Garcon would welcome DeSean Jackson to WR corps
- Five angles on Jackson and the Redskins
Ruben Frank of CSN Philly talks about the Eagles’ decision to cut Jackson
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins brass gets photo with Axl Rose at Guns n' Roses show
- Redskins position preview: Inside linebackers
- Need to Know: Do the Redskins need to lock up Cousins before Luck signs?
- NFL to interview players named in Al-Jazeera report, what does that mean for Manning?
- Redskins' McCoy on backing up Cousins: 'I try to help him as much as I can'
- Need to Know: The Redskins week that was—Cousins on the rise
- Redskins position preview: Cornerbacks
- Will the Redskins air it out more in 2016?
- Need to Know: The top five receivers the Redskins will face in 2016
- Redskins' Callahan on Lichtensteiger: 'We’re fortunate to have him'