Apr 2, 2014, 3:32 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Wednesday, April 2, five days before the Redskins start their offseason workouts.
Which current Redskins would be most affected by the Redskins landing DeSean Jackson? Here’s a look at five who will either benefit or be negatively affected by Jackson in burgundy and gold.
Brian Orakpo—We haven’t seen any contract details but it’s a good bet that Jackson’s first-year contract hit will have to be fairly low to fit under the cap room remaining. That means a bigger hit next year and that could make it difficult to give Orakpo a second tag or to sign him to a new deal.
Robert Griffin III—This doesn’t require an advanced degree in football analytics to figure out. With Jackson lined up Pierre Garçon with Jordan Reed roaming between the numbers, Griffin should have plenty of open targets and he will have an easier time regaining his 2012 form.
Stephen Bowen—Even a first-year cap friendly deal for Jackson would put the Redskins in quite a squeeze and the team might have to give up on hoping that Bowen’s knee will improve and cut him loose to save the cap space.
Leonard Hankerson—He has been second or third on the wide receiver depth chart when he has been healthy ever since the first several games of his rookie season. But with the top three of Jackson, Garçon, and Andre Roberts, Hankerson will have to scuffle for snaps.
Jordan Reed—Certainly Garçon and Andre Roberts would be helped by the extra attention given to Jackson but his presence also will take some targets away from the other wide receivers. Reed will get some more of the shorter passes and he should have room to operate.
Like Real Redskins on Facebook! Timeline
—It’s been 94 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be about 158 days until they play another one.
—Days until: Offseason workouts start 5; NFL Draft 36; Training camp starts 112
In case you missed it
- Jackson leaves, but may return
- Gruden could hamper Alfred Morris fantasy impact
- Moss: Clark ‘a quarterback on defense’
- Garcon would welcome DeSean Jackson to WR corps
- Five angles on Jackson and the Redskins
Ruben Frank of CSN Philly talks about the Eagles’ decision to cut Jackson
Follow Us On Twitter
- Redskins have been protecting Cousins well
- Redskins Playbook: Nothing certain for Redskins at left guard
- Many changes in Redskins secondary but David Bruton healthy, ready to go
- After shadowing Odell Beckham, Redskins have different plans for Josh Norman against Terrelle Pryor
- Redskins rookie Robert Kelley has funny, honest reaction to his first NFL carries
- New Redskins center Sullivan says he'll be ready quickly
- Don't mess with Trent Williams. Seriously. Watch this video.
- Even without Robert Griffin III's return, Redskins-Browns is plenty big
- Need to Know: Are the Redskins committed to the run?
- If hairline fracture not enough, Cowboys Dez Bryant reportedly fined