Apr 1, 2014, 9:41 AM EST
Here is what you need to know on this Tuesday, April 1, six days before the Redskins start their offseason workouts.
With the DeSean Jackson visit to Redskins Park ongoing today, here are five angles on about the situation.
Media leaks are in full play—You know things are about to get serious when both sides start leaking “information” to send messages to each other via the media. It’s in full swing now.
Redskins have the best QB situation of the teams in serious bidding—That is, unless one of the “mystery teams” in the mix (if there are any) is the Patriots. With Robert Griffin III’s strong arm and ability to extend plays, Jackson’s best chance of consistently making the highlight shows is in Washington.
Jackson won’t be cheap but closer to $8 million per year than to $10 million—There was a report out there that Jackson is looking for a contract worth $9-$10 million per year. That seems to be a bit high considering that the top free agent wide receiver so far, Eric Decker, got a deal worth an average of $7.25 million from the Jets. Jackson could be more than Decker but he won’t get $2 million per year more.
Bruce Allen thinks this team is closer to the 10-6 version than the 3-13 team—I doubt that they would be making such a serious play for Jackson if he thought that the addition would bump them up to being, say, a 7-9 team. He believes the Redskins have the talent to be competitive and more in need of a piece of the puzzle like Jackson than a total rebuild.
End of the line for Moss—It won’t be an immediate move but if they bring in Jackson that probably would mean that Moss, who signed a minimum salary deal early in free agency, would face an uphill battle for a roster spot.
—It’s been 93 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be about 159 days until they play another one.
—Days until: Offseason workouts start 6; NFL Draft 37; Training camp starts 113
In case you missed it
- Clark will be a Redskin
- Point-Counterpoint: Should the Redskins sign DeSean Jackson?
- Are ‘mystery teams’ now in the Jackson bidding?
- Sizing up the Redskins’ competition for DeSean Jackson
- Redskins trying to temper Jackson expectations
- DeSean Jackson’s five biggest plays vs. the Redskins
Jackson arrives for meeting with Redskins
Follow Us On Twitter
- Trent Williams 'optimistic' about playing in Indy
- Robert Griffin III addresses media for first time since benching
- Despite No. 3 status, Cousins remains confident
- Gruden: Allen, Snyder 'all on board' with decision to bench RG3
- Can Colt McCoy get the Redskins offense going?
- Production the bottom line in RG3 decision
- Gruden, Redskins react to RG3's benching
- Redskins teammates 'surprised' by RG3's benching
- McCoy: 'I don't know if I was benched, per se'
- Porter to injured reserve; Biggers, Hatcher out of practice