Mar 29, 2014, 5:42 AM EST
Here is what you need to know on this Saturday, March 29, nine days before the Redskins start their offseason workouts.
Here are five top trending names on Redskins Talk this week:
Jay Gruden—The Redskins new head coach didn’t have any earth-shattering news to reveal but he dropped a number of interesting tidbits during his one-hour meeting with the media during the NFL owners meetings in Orlando.
Phillip Thomas—Brue Allen said last week that the second-year safety would have been a starter last year if he had not suffered a season-ending injury early in the offseason. If he can start—and we’re a long way from knowing if he can or not—a major hole in the defense would be filled.
Tracy Porter—He signed on the line with the Redskins and we started trying to figure out what his role might be. Porter is a former second-round pick of the Saints and he’s going to be wearing his fourth different team in four years.
Brian Orakpo—Although we really didn’t think of him as one, he technically was a free agent until Thursday morning, when he signed his franchise tag tender. For him, that means that his $11.45 million salary for 2014 is guaranteed. For the Redskins, that means that he can participate when offseason workouts start on April 7.
Robert Griffin III—Of course, Gruden was questioned extensively about Griffin and how things are going so far. Gruden said that his only concern is that Griffin won’t leave Redskins Park and he doesn’t want the QB to burn himself out. While Gruden was speaking, Griffin and a group of backs and receivers were in Arizona for a passing camp set up by the QB.
—It’s been 90 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be about 162 days until they play another one.
—Days until: Offseason workouts start 9; NFL Draft 40; Training camp starts 116
In case you missed it
- Redskins sign OL Mike McGlynn
- Silva on Redskins/NFL Draft: Flexible plan for 34
- Orakpo pleased with new Redskins approach to free agency
- Biggers will compete for spot in Redskins’ backfield
- Gruden wants Morris to catch a few more passes
- Redskins, others waiting for Britt to decide on team
- The Redskins’ five biggest weekly paychecks
Tandler talks about what’s next for Orakpo and the defense
Follow Us On Twitter
- Gruden, Redskins react to RG3's benching
- Redskins teammates 'surprised' by RG3's benching
- McCoy: 'I don't know if I was benched, per se'
- Porter to injured reserve; Biggers, Hatcher out of practice
- Waiver wire: Thanksgiving Day goodies in Week 13
- Gruden: RG3 'very upset' when told news he was benched
- Gruden: Redskins QB position becoming 'merry-go-round'
- How long will Colt McCoy be Washington's starter?
- Jay Gruden benched RG3 to help reset his career
- Will Morris' rushing production suffer with Griffin out?