Mar 27, 2014, 4:58 AM EDT
Here are the top five takeaways from Jay Gruden’s press availability at the NFL owners meetings:
Orakpo needs to prove it—Gruden said that he would be fine with having Brian Orakpo play out the season on the franchise tag. If you read this blog regularly you know that I’ve been saying that the team really has no interest in giving him a long-term deal for a variety of reasons, among them his need to show that he can get it done two years in a row among them.
The offensive line shuffle is official—As many expected, left guard Kory Lichtensteiger will slide into the center spot that became vacant when Will Montgomery was released and free agent signee Shawn Lauvao will be the starting left guard.
Phillip Thomas should be ready to go—He suffered a Lisfranc injury in August and Gruden thinks he’ll be ready to play. However, he wasn’t specific about whether or not Thomas will be able to be fully participant in the offseason program that starts April 7. But he did indicate that they would like to see him step up into a substantial role so he must have some confidence that he will be able to get in a lot of practice before the season starts.
He doesn’t care if RG3 wears a knee brace—“His knee is strong” said Gruden and he said that braces are so light that it really shouldn’t hinder him if the doctors do recommend that he wear one.
He likes having two good QB’s—Well, he said “great” quarterbacks but I’m not quite sure either Griffin or Kirk Cousins qualify. But he does like having Cousins around, especially since Griffin tends to put himself in harm’s way from time to time. Gruden said that the team hasn’t received any trade offers for Cousins so far.
—It’s been 88 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be about 164 days until they play another one.
—Days until: Offseason workouts start 11; NFL Draft 42; Training camp starts 118
In case you missed it
- Gruden on RG3: ‘He just needs to settle down’
- Gruden says safety Thomas (foot) is on target to return
- Redskins’ contracts this offseason total $127.9 million
- NFL extends goal posts, tweaks replay
- Gruden confirms Redskins offensive line changes
- Gruden in no hurry to give Orakpo a long-term contract
- Five possible depth chart surprises for the 2014 Redskins
Gruden: Hatcher “was a priority for us” due to pass rush
Follow Us On Twitter
- Need to Know: Three Redskins up, three down from a year ago
- Is Joe Flacco the best player on the Ravens and the Redskins?
- Chick Hernandez considers RG3 one of the biggest hurdles for Skins in 2016
- Redskins position preview: Defensive line
- Loss to Ryan’s Eagles spurred Gibbs, Redskins to last title
- Need to Know: Ranking the Redskins' rookies—Who will have the most impact in 2016?
- Kirk Cousins talks hand size, marvels at Russell Wilson
- Report: Former Redskins coach Mike Shanahan to host Donald Trump fundraiser
- 'Full steam ahead' - Kirk Cousins focused on football, not contracts
- Redskins position preview: Outside linebackers