Mar 26, 2014, 4:54 AM EDT
Here are five personnel moves that could end up happening for the Redskins at some point in 2014.
Adam Gettis starting at center—Yesterday he tweeted that he was going to go out and snap to Robert Griffin III during the workout the QB organized with the receivers, tight ends and backs in Arizona. He could be given an opportunity to push Kory Lichtensteiger at center.
Aldrick Robinson playing a key role at WR—He showed some signs of being more than just a fast guy late last year but it was a small sample size so he still has a lot to prove. But if he can consistently be the receiver he was towards the end of the season he’ll get snaps and it wouldn’t be surprising for him to end up as the second- or third-leading receiver on the team if he does.
Tom Compton starting at right tackle—The Redskins’ courtship of Donald Penn is an indication that the team is not enamored with the prospect of Tyler Polumbus starting at right tackle. They aren’t going to hand the job to Compton but there could be an actual competition for the job and Compton, entering his third year, could well win it.
Chase Minnifield at nickel—He’s had to battle through injury and now he has to hone his game in many areas, including special teams. If he can put it together, however, and play with the chip on his shoulder he often carries it will be hard to keep him off the field.
Keenan Robinson at Jack linebacker—Yes, he’s been sidelined since Thanksgiving Day, 2012. Yes, the Redskins have signed three free agents who have all done something that Robinson hasn’t—start an NFL game. But he was drafted to move into the middle when London Fletcher retired and he could well do it at some point this season.
—It’s been 87 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be about 165 days until they play another one.
—Days until: Offseason workouts start 12; NFL Draft 43; Training camp starts 119
In case you missed it
- Gruden not worried about RG3-Shanahan in 2013
- Why don’t the Redskins get compensatory draft picks?
- Gruden: Building ‘honest’ relationship with RG3 is job No. 1
- NFL to flag goalpost dunk celebrations
- NFL owners vote to ban “roll up” blocks
- NFL refs will get help with replay
- RG3 to drive at RIR?
- Five free agents the Redskins should still pursue
Follow Us On Twitter
- Report: Stork to report to Redskins over the weekend
- Projecting the Redskins 53-man roster: First cuts approaching
- Redskins Playbook: Watching for the Stork as practice moves locations
- Money matters in Stork's decision to play for Redskins
- Need to Know: Other positions could squeeze Redskins' numbers at linebacker
- Redskins trade for Bryan Stork made official
- Is Bryan Stork retiring instead of joining the Redskins?
- Patriots trade C Bryan Stork to Redskins
- RB Chris Thompson unlikely to play in Bills game, says Jay Gruden
- Redskins' Blackmon, Hall learning to communicate as they convert to safety