Mar 25, 2014, 4:52 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Tuesday, March 25, 13 days before the Redskins start their offseason workouts.
Bruce Allen has said that the Redskins are not finished acquiring free agents yet. Here are five players who are still available who could help the Redskins.
S Ryan Clark—They still need an experienced safety and Clark could fill the void until Phillip Thomas and/or Bacarri Rambo are ready to play. This situation is hard to read since Clark has options outside of football working on television.
OLB Anthony Spencer—As noted here yesterday, the Redskins still need some depth at outside linebacker. Given the microfracture surgery he had last year he might not be the ideal option, but there aren’t many out there.
WR Robert Meachem—I get the feeling that the Redskins are going to add another veteran receiver as insurance in the event of either a problem with Leonard Hankerson’s recovery or the inability to land a receiver in the draft. Meachem hasn’t been very productive the last two seasons (average 15 rec., 265 yards, 2 TD) but he has size (6-2) and speed to be a contributor as a No. 4 wide receiver.
C Brian De La Puente—The former Saint is still out there after visiting the Redskins last week. At 306 pounds, he’s could easily get up to Jay Gruden’s ideal size for a center. At age 29 he’s a medium term solution in the middle of the line.
OT Eric Winston—I don’t believe that the Redskins’ inability to land Donald Penn to play right tackle was necessarily a bad thing. He’s about to turn 31, was reportedly overweight, and not really a huge upgrade over Tyler Polumbus. But there are few options left that would be a clear step up from the much-maligned Polumbus. Winston has a chance to be one of them and he could be a good fit as long as they don’t pay him like he’s the savior.
—It’s been 86 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be about 166 days until they play another one.
—Days until: Offseason workouts start 13; NFL Draft 44; Training camp starts 120
In case you missed it
- Help wanted at outside linebacker
- Enemy Intel: Minnesota Vikings
- Will the Redskins get a compensatory draft pick?
- 21 rule changes to be considered at NFL owners meetings
- The top five running backs the Redskins will face in 2014
Follow Us On Twitter
- Report: Patriots trade C Bryan Stork to Redskins
- RB Chris Thompson unlikely to play in Bills game, says Jay Gruden
- Redskins' Blackmon, Hall learning to communicate as they convert to safety
- Another missed practice for Redskins Jamison Crowder
- Redskins QB Kirk Cousins is getting used to getting ready
- Should the Redskins look to newly released Patriot for offensive line help?
- Redskins Playbook: How serious is Jamison Crowder's injury situation?
- Need to Know: Numbers game on Redskins O-line is taking shape
- Demaryius Thomas to Josh Norman: Where's your Super Bowl ring?
- Josh Norman on increased attention: I'm no longer the underdog