Mar 24, 2014, 4:43 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Monday, March 24, 14 days before the Redskins start their offseason workouts.
Last month we looked at the top five passers the Redskins will face in 2014. Today let’s take a look at the five leading rushers they will face, based on 2013 total rushing yards.
1. LeSean McCoy, Eagles (1607 rushing yards in 2013)—Yeah, they’ll have to deal with him twice again this year. Last year’s opener was particularly ugly as he ran around and, especially, through Redskins defenders (14 missed tackles by Washington, many against McCoy) for 184 yards on the ground. That game set the tone for the season for both teams.
2. Adrian Peterson, Vikings (1,266)—He rushed for almost 800 fewer yards in 2013 than he did the year before but he was still fifth in the NFL in rushing. AD didn’t exactly tear the Redskins up in their Week 10 meeting last year as he rushed for 75 yards. But he scored two touchdowns and powered for some key first downs that helped the Vikings put the game away in the fourth quarter.
3. Marshawn Lynch, Seahawks (1,257)—He’s ‘bout that action. We tend to think of him as a power runner but he tore off touchdown runs of 15, 31, and 40 yards during the playoffs last year.
4. Frank Gore, 49ers (1,128)—Gore is going to be 31 in May and he seems to be getting stronger with age. He hasn’t missed a game in the last three years and has averaged about 1,185 yards per season.
5. DeMarco Murray, Cowboys (1,121)—With Murray, it’s always been “if he could only stay healthy”. Last year he missed only two games and left the first game against the Redskins early with an injury. He still managed to finish 10th in the league in rushing. Imagine how well he could do if Romo, Garrett, and company would actually call running plays when they should.
So the Redskins will play seven games against top 10 running backs. Oh, and Chris Johnson of the Titans was 11th so if he is still with Tennessee that will half of their schedule against
—It’s been 85 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be about 167 days until they play another one.
—Days until: Offseason workouts start 14; NFL Draft 45; Training camp starts 121
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- DeAngelo Hall to be inducted into Virginia Tech Hall of Fame
- Redskins' outside LB depth chart looking thin after Galette injury
- After promising rookie season ends with terrible injury, Redskins waive Kyshoen Jarrett
- With Junior Galette out for the season are any free agents worth bringing in? Greg Hardy?
- Junior Galette tears Achilles tendon days before training camp
- Following NFL trend, Redskins sell naming rights for practice facility
- Can Redskins' Cousins continue to avoid the turnover bug?
- OPEN THREAD: Las Vegas betting information shows lack of respect for Redskins
- Need to Know: What are the Redskins' strongest and weakest areas?
- Cowboys bus involved in fatal crash in Arizona