Mar 24, 2014, 4:43 AM EDT
Here is what you need to know on this Monday, March 24, 14 days before the Redskins start their offseason workouts.
Last month we looked at the top five passers the Redskins will face in 2014. Today let’s take a look at the five leading rushers they will face, based on 2013 total rushing yards.
1. LeSean McCoy, Eagles (1607 rushing yards in 2013)—Yeah, they’ll have to deal with him twice again this year. Last year’s opener was particularly ugly as he ran around and, especially, through Redskins defenders (14 missed tackles by Washington, many against McCoy) for 184 yards on the ground. That game set the tone for the season for both teams.
2. Adrian Peterson, Vikings (1,266)—He rushed for almost 800 fewer yards in 2013 than he did the year before but he was still fifth in the NFL in rushing. AD didn’t exactly tear the Redskins up in their Week 10 meeting last year as he rushed for 75 yards. But he scored two touchdowns and powered for some key first downs that helped the Vikings put the game away in the fourth quarter.
3. Marshawn Lynch, Seahawks (1,257)—He’s ‘bout that action. We tend to think of him as a power runner but he tore off touchdown runs of 15, 31, and 40 yards during the playoffs last year.
4. Frank Gore, 49ers (1,128)—Gore is going to be 31 in May and he seems to be getting stronger with age. He hasn’t missed a game in the last three years and has averaged about 1,185 yards per season.
5. DeMarco Murray, Cowboys (1,121)—With Murray, it’s always been “if he could only stay healthy”. Last year he missed only two games and left the first game against the Redskins early with an injury. He still managed to finish 10th in the league in rushing. Imagine how well he could do if Romo, Garrett, and company would actually call running plays when they should.
So the Redskins will play seven games against top 10 running backs. Oh, and Chris Johnson of the Titans was 11th so if he is still with Tennessee that will half of their schedule against
—It’s been 85 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be about 167 days until they play another one.
—Days until: Offseason workouts start 14; NFL Draft 45; Training camp starts 121
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- 25 Redskins questions: What will the QB depth chart look like?
- Will the Redskins draft a receiver with their top pick?
- Could Leonard Williams be on the board when the Redskins pick?
- 25 Redskins questions: Who will be the third-down back?
- Who's the favorite to be the Redskins' top pick?
- Redskins draft board: Cornerback
- If your favorite draft prospect hasn't visited Redskins Park don't worry
- OPEN THREAD: Will Adrian Peterson end up with the Cowboys?
- 25 Redskins questions: More special teams improvement in 2015?
- NFL reinstates Adrian Peterson from suspension