Mar 24, 2014, 4:43 AM EST
Here is what you need to know on this Monday, March 24, 14 days before the Redskins start their offseason workouts.
Last month we looked at the top five passers the Redskins will face in 2014. Today let’s take a look at the five leading rushers they will face, based on 2013 total rushing yards.
1. LeSean McCoy, Eagles (1607 rushing yards in 2013)—Yeah, they’ll have to deal with him twice again this year. Last year’s opener was particularly ugly as he ran around and, especially, through Redskins defenders (14 missed tackles by Washington, many against McCoy) for 184 yards on the ground. That game set the tone for the season for both teams.
2. Adrian Peterson, Vikings (1,266)—He rushed for almost 800 fewer yards in 2013 than he did the year before but he was still fifth in the NFL in rushing. AD didn’t exactly tear the Redskins up in their Week 10 meeting last year as he rushed for 75 yards. But he scored two touchdowns and powered for some key first downs that helped the Vikings put the game away in the fourth quarter.
3. Marshawn Lynch, Seahawks (1,257)—He’s ‘bout that action. We tend to think of him as a power runner but he tore off touchdown runs of 15, 31, and 40 yards during the playoffs last year.
4. Frank Gore, 49ers (1,128)—Gore is going to be 31 in May and he seems to be getting stronger with age. He hasn’t missed a game in the last three years and has averaged about 1,185 yards per season.
5. DeMarco Murray, Cowboys (1,121)—With Murray, it’s always been “if he could only stay healthy”. Last year he missed only two games and left the first game against the Redskins early with an injury. He still managed to finish 10th in the league in rushing. Imagine how well he could do if Romo, Garrett, and company would actually call running plays when they should.
So the Redskins will play seven games against top 10 running backs. Oh, and Chris Johnson of the Titans was 11th so if he is still with Tennessee that will half of their schedule against
—It’s been 85 days since the Redskins played a game; it will be about 167 days until they play another one.
—Days until: Offseason workouts start 14; NFL Draft 45; Training camp starts 121
In case you missed it
Follow Us On Twitter
- Gruden: Griffin will be No. 2 QB vs. Colts
- LaVar Arrington: 'This is the end of RG3's career in Washington'
- At Redskins Park, the pressure now shifts to Gruden
- The cap implications of a 2015 RG3 decision
- RG3 benched--The beginning of the end?
- Morris, McCoy dish on the best part of Thanksgiving
- What does the future hold for RG3?
- Report: Colt McCoy to start over RG3 vs. Colts
- Week 13 Power Rankings: Raiders, Odell Beckham Jr. win!
- Will Gruden use Jackson as a returner more often?